XP support, upgrading to pro in 2 years?

keewaa 21:48 24 Apr 06

I read that Microsoft will only continue XP home support for 2 years after vista comes out but XP pro for about 5 years. Will there be any way to upgrade for additional support for XP home, because a computer bought with XP home this year wouldn't be very good in 2 years if windows support ends and security holes are no longer patched.

ade.h 22:04 24 Apr 06

I am willing to be proved wrong - I haven't read any articles that state this or anything to the contrary - but I would be very surprised indeed if that were true. We won't see Vista until sometime next year now anyway, so reducing the level of support for XP Home (say, placing it in Extended Phase) just a year after that would be very unlikely and a big faux pax.

keewaa 22:46 24 Apr 06

It was due to finish the end of this year until MS extended it 2 years !! click here

Stuartli 23:47 24 Apr 06

Although I use XP Pro, I realise it first came out around five years ago.

There were similar time scales for support being concluded for 98, 98SE and ME, so it's to be expected.

The longer period for XP Pro will be due to the fact that it's basically geared to business rather than home use.

Latest MS news is at:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…