XP SP2 update

Forum Editor 08:43 17 Jul 04

As I anticipated in a previous thread, Microsoft recently notified me that there's yet another pre-release beta version of the WinXP SP2 avaliable to beta testers. I downloaded and installed it yesterday, and so far there are no problems. This release (build 2162) is aimed at fixing various issues raised as a result of the extended use of RC2, and coming as it does at the eleventh hour before launch, is an indication of the hectic activity that must be taking place at Redmond to get this Service Pack right.

The download came in at just over 94Mb - a distinct improvement on earlier beta versions.

mole44 11:08 17 Jul 04

thanks FE for that from all of us

fitcher 17:24 22 Jul 04

if you are like me and have several digital camera card readers and loads of software on your computer ,and it is running sweetly .do I risk the download of sp2 or do I wait a while for the buggs to appear ,,, ?

Forum Editor 18:07 22 Jul 04

is going to be a problem. I have a lot of software installed on my office machines, and I've had no problems with any of it.

As for the bugs appearing............there may not be any, or there might be plenty, who knows? All I can say is that I've tested SP2 ever since it went into its beta stage, last December, and it has steadily improved. I will have no hesitation in recommending SP2 to anyone. Like any new release there may be a few problems revealed when it gets onto a million or so computers, but I doubt that any of them will be serious enough to warrant delay. The benefits to be gained by having the security enhancements in SP2 should dispel any lingering doubts, and I suggest ytou give it a try - you can always uninstall it if you aren't happy with it.

TomG 19:34 22 Jul 04

I'm concerned abot the firewall - I downloaded the advanced pack which upgrades the inbuilt firewall - everytime i conected to the internet my pc froze fo 5 minutes - took forever to sort out (eventually did it with Microsoft help). So I'll be disabelling the fire wall straight away

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…