XP needed, best deal?...

mike2004 11:56 29 Dec 04

I need to upgrade my Win 2000 a.s.a.p. (to make it compatible with al these xmas stuff -- ipod etc.). Where is the best deal?

Appreciate any help.

kakasnarta 12:33 29 Dec 04

Try a look on e-bay you can get a full copy of win xp home oem version for about £60 genuine with activation key.you will have to check your system will run xp and back up all your files ,as it will be a new install.

Please be careful with ebay most of the regular traders are genuine but I once bought XP Pro but after six months it turned out to be a trial version yet no sign on the paperwork/activation apparent genuiness of the CD during installation

Totally-braindead 17:09 29 Dec 04

My advice would be to buy an OEM copy, in order to qualify for it you need to buy some hardware memory for example. Have a look at click here

dabs amazon pcworld microland most computer web sites will have upgrades to XP which are normally cheaper than OEM versions sometimes you have to buy a piece of hardware to obtain XP eg a stick of ram to make it legal OEM version albeit you lose your warranty from the people who supplied your PC as soon as you open your PC
do not take the 1st you find shop around the websites for the best price pricerunner & kelkoo will give you a good guide to the prices if you search that way

It's Me 17:20 29 Dec 04

I would get an upgrade package. Similar price to an OEM, but with full m/s cover. You just need your old Windows disk for the verification. It's as well to check on M/s website that your old system can be upgraded however.

smy13 19:34 29 Dec 04

I recently bought an OEM copy of XP Home for £59 for my sons second user notebook, along with a Firewire card for my own PC £9, total outlay £68.00 I believe an upgrade would have cost around £169.00 for XP home and £259.00 for XP Pro. So my advice would be to go down the OEM route and treat yourself to a nice upgrade as well

spuds 19:54 29 Dec 04

Good price for XP Home and XP Pro from Ebuyer. Both OEM with SP2,and you do not need to purchase expensive additions ;o)

jessie .x..x.x 20:48 29 Dec 04

I spotted originals of xp home/pro at my local computer fair, very cheap indeed !!!!

try fairs.co.uk

for you nearest computer fair. Dont be scared though, pc fairs are very friendly places. The stall owners will always be helpful and honest.

jes xxx

mike2004 10:29 30 Dec 04

I have plumped for an XP Home, OEM edition, at £58.81 incl. postage... as 'speed is of the essence'. Is this version fully supported?, e.g. will I be able to get MS service pack upgrades etc. (Which is why I have so many problems with installing new kit -- e.g. old drivers etc.). Also, I don't have the original MS 2000 professional install disks as I inherited the PC with op. system installed.

spuds 10:54 30 Dec 04

The actual oem disk should have support from the supplier,microsoft will not provide this, but any upgrading and hotfixing should be available via the internet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…