XP Home OS CD required

golfpro 18:55 14 Jul 06

Where can I buy on line from the UK, a "genuine" copy of XP Home (not download), to be posted to Austria, for a good price.

Diodorus Siculus 20:35 14 Jul 06

Do you want the vendor to send it to Austria?

If not, any of the major sellers will send it to you and you can post it to Austria.

ade.h 20:41 14 Jul 06

Golfpro mentioned in another thread that he/she lives in Austria.

You could have it sent to a relative in the UK, who could forward it to you, which may work out cheaper than international shipping from a retailer. Many retailers won't ship internationally at all, despite being in the EU!

golfpro 07:29 15 Jul 06

I live in Austria, and trying to buy any English software at all is a no no.
This is why I asked if anyone knew of a retailer that would post it to me, also I have been here now for over 25 years and my old mates that I knew are either dead or don't have computers. So I think the easiest way is for the shop to send it to me.
I could try Amazon, but When it comes to software I am a bit wary of them.

Forum Editor 08:26 15 Jul 06

to be wary of Amazon - they're a superb company, one of the best online retailers in the world.

golfpro 09:36 15 Jul 06

I think I mis-worded the thread. I have ordered lots of stuff from Amazon, from books to music CDs and have had no problems at all, very quick delivery and good customer care, and will continue to order things like this from them.
However I have only ordered two software programs from them, and both when installed into a second PC (having been deleted from the original PC first), have refused to load correctly, now I don't know if this was an OS fault (different language) or not, or whether they were OEM copies (single user disc's), I have not been able to determine this as yet. That is why I am wary.

Smiler 17:10 15 Jul 06

Ebay

this guy will post to europe
click here

wee eddie 18:02 15 Jul 06

This is unlikely to be anything to do with Amazon as all they do is to sell what the Manufacturer/Distributer supplies them with.

If they know you, you will have no trouble with sending to an Off-shore rather than UK address.

spuds 18:56 15 Jul 06

Smiler-- The only problem with that type of O/S is the wording (System Builder). This usually means OEM products obtained from Dell make computers and the like. Microsoft do not like these installed on 'regular' computers, and with new procedures in hand, may well reject installation, with no comebacks.

golfpro 08:26 16 Jul 06

Smiler-- The only problem with that type of O/S is the wording (System Builder). This usually means OEM products obtained from Dell make computers and the like. Microsoft do not like these installed on 'regular' computers, and with new procedures in hand, may well reject installation, with no comebacks.

Exactly, That is the type I bought for my old PC, and now I find it can not be transfered to my new one. Firstly it will not load, and second Microsoft will NOT support it. Also the shop I got it from has now gone out of business.
Stay away from these is my advice.

wee eddie 08:57 16 Jul 06

OEM it's called: You get it cheap because it's for 1 computer only.

Normally this would mean that you get the use of the software for the life of the Computer, about 6 years. Not that bad a deal for about half the price of the boxed offering.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…