X2 4400 or Athlon 64 4000 (San Diego)

aveylee 11:58 26 Apr 06

Any thoughts as to which processor would be best. Looking primarily for a gaming PC with internet use. (2gig ram, 7900GT, SLI32 mobo)
The San Diego seems to outperform the Dual core on gaming CPU tests, and is quite a bit cheaper. However Dual-core seems to be the future, and I don't want to be left behind when games are optimised for dual-core in the future.
Should I go for current performance & price today. Or go for the Dual-Core and wait for dual-core optimised games such as oblivion to become the norm?

rmcqua 14:12 26 Apr 06

I would go for the San Diego and save the extra cash, until such time as you need to do more multi-tasking or the games advantage of the dual core becomes too great to ignore.

Totally-braindead 18:22 26 Apr 06

I couldn't afford a dual core at Xmas so bought an Athlon 64 but made sure my motherboard would take a dual core when the prices drop. If I was you I would do the same.

DrScott 23:36 26 Apr 06

I'd agree - AMD will bring out AM2 motherboards in the not too distant future, and so dual core CPUS will come down in price. If you want what's best for gaming now, I'd go for the 4000...

aveylee 13:46 27 Apr 06

Thanks everyone.
I'll think I will go for the 4000. Like most PC people bigger numbers sell items, but I can't justify the expense at the moment.
I'll follow Totally-braindead's advice. The savings I make on the CPU will allow me to upgrade Asus A8N32-Sli mobo, which should be pretty upgradable.
Any change can then go for quiet cooling.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…