X-Box for 25 quid

mitchamm 14:36 07 Mar 03

Anyone interested in getting their hands on a X-Box for £25.00. Just go to the URL below:

click here

George W. 15:02 07 Mar 03

I thought Pyramid Selling was illegal in this country ?

No thanks - I think I'll buy whatever console I decide on in the normal way.

mikef™ 15:52 07 Mar 03

It is George W. and if you look further into the site there is no contact details apart from email and they "will give you details of our postal address and telephone contact numbers if you have a need for them." I don't know why I think you will not hear back from them but..............

Forum Editor 17:15 07 Mar 03

because nothing is being sold. The organisers will be quick to point out that what happens is that your £25 qualifies you to join a 'membership list'.

Once you join the list your name is added at the bottom. Nineteen other people need to join before you reach the top and once you get there another 20 must join before you get your X-box. That means the organisers will have received twenty nine times £25 plus your £25 - a total of £750 - before they give you a product which costs about £153.

As far as I can see there's nothing illegal about this unless you don't receive the product. I wouldn't personally dream of joining such a scheme, but that's because I wouldn't want to wait until thirty nine other people took the plunge - if they took it.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:53 07 Mar 03

According to my calculator this is the epitome of baaaaaad schemes for the ultra-gullible.

To do the math......1 unwary person signs up and awaits the other 19 - gets X-Box, other 19 have to wait for 380 to sign up-380 have to wait for 7600, 7600 have to wait for 152000 to sign up, 152000 have to wait for 3040000 who, in turn have to wait for 60,8000,000 to sign up, which is the entire population of the UK (I have not factored in (n+20), which is the original figure, so the figures will be a few thousand out).

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:57 07 Mar 03

...according to my 'Big Boys Book of Egyptian History' this scheme ressembles one of the huge pointy edifices on page 21, next to where stinker Watson minor has scrawled, 'You are a rotter and a cad'. :-))

G

Elrond 18:31 08 Mar 03

I took the liberty of e-mailing the company to find out what sort of waiting times you are looking at. They said that times do vary but a typical wait is around 16-18 weeks. And because at the minute they have an offer where if you sign up for the P4 2.0Ghz(£50) laptop you get onto the GameCube list for free, it has been quicker than than said period.

tomsdad 18:59 08 Mar 03

I have just had a look at the site, how they are able to get away with I will never know.

I think at the end of the day, sooner or later some one who pays there £50 a laptop is going to lose out, what happens if they never get enough people to sign up for it? Do you get your money back?

There are times when people need protecting from their selves and this is one of them, sites like this should be made illegal. Tomsdad

Forum Editor 19:26 08 Mar 03

Pyramid selling is where you are invited to buy a batch of product - cleaning materials say - from a person and encouraged to sell the product to others, who in turn sell to others, who sell to others etc.

People at the top of this pyramid sell vast quantities of product and become stinking rich - or so the story goes..........

Anyone who was around in the 1970's will remember seeing stickers on cars saying "I like Swipe". This was a cleaning product that removed any kind of dirt from anything, and was actually very good, except you couldn't buy it in the shops. You had to buy from a Swipe seller, who was probably your neighbour, and he would invite you to a Swipe party where you would be regaled with stories about how much money you could make from selling the stuff to other people.

Loads of people ended up with garages full of Swipe, and are still waiting to make their millions - meanwhile a sensible government made pyramid selling illegal.

What is going on via the website in the link provided by mitchamm is not pyramid selling - whatever else it might be.

jazzypop 15:06 10 Mar 03

"...meanwhile a sensible government made pyramid selling illegal"

Not strictly true anymore (if it ever was?).

"Trading schemes may be called direct selling, network marketing, pyramid selling, multi-level marketing, or other names. It is a way of selling goods or services through a trading scheme which operates on more than one level.

People who join such schemes are self-employed and earn money by selling the schemes' goods or services. In some schemes participants may increase their earnings by recruiting others and from the sales made by their recruits.

Such schemes are not illegal in the UK but they must comply with the provisions in Part XI of the Fair Trading Act as amended by the Trading Scheme Act 1996 and the Trading Scheme Regulations 1997"

Source - click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:07 10 Mar 03

1 person has to wait for 19, who then have to wait for 400, who then have to wait for 8000, who then have to wait for 160,000.....ad population of UK. Even standing on my head whistling 'dixie' it looks suspiciously like a pyramid (human), the only difference being that you do not have a garage full of inexplicably useless and over-priced house cleaners, body lotions or car alarms just lacking a wedge o'wonga .

Anyhow I have fired them off an email in which I have invited their mathematicians to explain my chances of receiving a box when in five levels, the whole of the UK including pets, have to sign up for the dull equipment. The reply ought to be interesting in a Stephen Hawking type of way.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…