WYSIWYG web editor for free...

Taran 10:53 17 Jul 04

I highlighted this project quite some months ago in the Consumerwatch forum. It is called Nvu click here

It started as a Linux project to bring a good WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editor to Linux, which previously relied on its users leveraging one or another of the excellent text/code editors coupled with the knowledge and ability to write code manually to create their web pages.

The idea was to bring a FrontPage type product to Linux which would allow rapid web creation using a visual interface with built in publish/FTP capability and so on. It would allow people with little prior knowledge of the web to get started in web editing on Linux and would allow those people who do know web authoring to generate a web framework quickly from which to build on.

To cut to the chase, I've been playing with the results of this project this past few months and I'm happy to say that it's not half bad. In fact, I'd go so far as to suggest that anyone working to a tight budget or who is unsure which WYSIWYG editor to invest in should seriously consider this program.

It is available on Linux (obviously) and has also been ported over to Windows. The download is available from click here and at 7.66mb it is accessible to those on narrowband dial up web access. It requires a little over 20mb of disk space.

Installation is easy, the interface is simple to grasp and there are loads of nice built in tools to play with. It has a built in CSS editor, HTML code validator, you can open files direct from a web server and on saving a file you are always prompted to give the page a title that will appear in the browser window title or in bookmarked favourites.

Note that this is a plain vanilla HTML editor and is not intended for working with PHP, ASP or XHTML.

If you're struggling to decide which editor to buy, try Nvu while you're deciding. All it costs is the time to download and it gives nice results without leaving you scratching your head. As that well known advert once said, it does exactly what it says on the tin, and you'd be hard pressed to find something that offers better value for money...

I'm cross-posting this in both Consumerwatch and WebDesign.

Best regards

Taran

Diodorus Siculus 11:44 17 Jul 04

Thanks for that; a nice addition to my freeware computing project.

spuds 11:55 17 Jul 04

Thanks.Now downloaded, and ready for a play around.

TomJerry 12:02 17 Jul 04

?

zanwalk 12:06 17 Jul 04

Thanks Taran. Much appreciated. Am going to D/L now.

georgemac 12:36 17 Jul 04

thanks, for my postings, will try it

Taran 12:49 17 Jul 04

"WYSIWYG: what about OpenOffice?"

What about it ?

OpenOffice, StarOffice and similar suites generally suit a different user and purpose and, in my opinion, neither one comes close in HTML editing capabilities to Nvu. Neither OpenOffice or StarOffice was intended to be used in rapid web development and neither suite is ideally suited to the task.

The whole point to Nvu was to bring a dedicated, standalone, FrontPage-like product to Linux, and it was nice of the developers to port it to Windows too. OpenOffice and StarOffice do not allow web project management on the same level as Nvu, and they also do not support the same level of tools and features.

If either OpenOffice or StarOffice does what you want it to then all well and good. Nvu is incomparable to either suite though, and is not intended to either rival or benchmark between them.

There are lots of freeware products, from complete suites to standalone programs, and many have been released for both Windows and Linux (or the other way around), but this is the first really useful and usable WYSIWYG web authoring tool designed for the Linux platform, although I admit that it is not the very first tool of its kind for Linux. It is the best I've seen to date though, and works so well I thought I'd share it.

It is free, very capable and available for both platforms. Having used both Open and StarOffice I know what I'd prefer to create websites with.

That's possibly just me though.

OpenOffice, to download, is 64.1 MB for Windows or 76.4 MB for Linux.

Nvu is 7.66 MB.

OpenOffice is not a dedicated WYSIWYG web authoring tool.

Nvu is.

Try it and make up your own mind.

I wasn't sugesting a comparative product review, merely that I think Nvu is a very nice little program and may warrant further investigation by those who may be starting out in web authoring or who are as yet undecided as to which program to invest in.

Taran 21:30 21 Jul 04

Just ticking the thread resolved to keep things tidy...

Sounds good - file to my postings.

Mundy 00:33 26 Jul 04

Thank you Taran, looks ideal.

:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…