wrongly advertised laptop

DUKEMAN 16:09 04 Jan 03
  DUKEMAN 16:09 04 Jan 03

I recently purchased an IBM Thinkpad 600e from Bigpockets.com also called IT Solutions, in the West Midlands. The machine was advertised as a 600e, but is in fact a standard 600 with a DVD drive fitted. The problem is that the 600 is not fast enough to run DVD's.
I have tried to get them to do something about it, but it's "all gone quiet over there"
Can you help as far as what I can do to get a replacement or my money back.

jazzypop 16:29 04 Jan 03

You entered into a contract for the supply of a 600e, and they supplied a 600? Seems like clear breach of contract, which as far as my limited knowledge goes, entitles you to cancel the contract (return the laptop for a refund) or enforce the contract (require a 'proper' 600e).

To enforce what I believe to be your rights, it would be wise to contact them immediately, in writing, stating that you are rejecting the goods, your reasons, and your expected remedy.

Now if only I knew the difference beteween a 600 and a 600e :)

Mac & Beth 16:29 04 Jan 03

Not faster enough to run DVDs??? Surely all new PC can cope with DVD drives??

And i can only see clothing at Bigpockets.com

Mac & Beth 16:32 04 Jan 03

click here

click here

Pentium PII 266 Mhz CPU
64MB RAM
4.1gb HDD
13.3"TFT Screen
Internal CD Drive
External FDD
Mains Power Adapter
Battery - ( No Warranty on Battery )

Sold in single units @ £299.00 per unit

2nd User Product - may have marks or scratches
30 Days Warranty
Warranty is for 30 days Return to base only and does not cover batteries

This computer is a refurbished product and does not come with any O/S, drivers or software.

The picture shown is for illustration purpose only, goods received may differ from that shown.

Forum Editor 16:35 04 Jan 03

Do you have a copy of the advertisement? If it was on a web page, is the page still there? If it is, I suggest that you print a copy of it immediately.

Was there a description of the machine on any document that you received, or that you printed from the site - such as an order confirmation?

I'm assuming that you bought the computer online - is that the case?

If it is the case, then I assume you used a credit card?

If you can show that the machine you received is different from the one described in the advertisement, and state that you relied on the advertisement when you made the purchase, then you are entitled to a full refund - or the correct machine (it's your choice).

The fact that it has "all gone quiet over there" isn't necessarily a harbinger of doom, but you do need to act quickly. Write to the company (by special delivery)stating the facts, and ask for an immediate refund or a replacement machine. Say that if you do not receive a satisfactory response within 7 days you may take further action to ensure that the company meets its obligations to you under the sale of goods act.

P.S. When you say that you have tried to get the company to do something about it - what exactly have you done, and what has been their response (if any). And how recent was the purchase?

Forum Editor 17:07 04 Jan 03

does that mean you've got your money back? Perhaps, for the benefit of those who have offered help, you could let us know the position.

PC Advisor. 11:39 07 Jan 03

DUKEMAN,

Any news?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…