Worth paying extra for 54mbps Wireless Network?

cyberphobic 08:48 27 Feb 04

I currently have a Pipex 576 Broadband connection with Fujitsu FDX310 modem serving 4 PCs wired to a hub (not router). A planned extension means that the we will be changing some of the rooms around so a wired network is no longer the best solution, so I am thinking about wireless options. Having looked at Ebuyer's site they have an ADSL/modem/router at 11MBPS for £62 inc VAT + 11 MBPS PCI cards at £15 all of which receive good reviews and would mean a total outlay of £122. Ebuyer also have a Linksys 54MBPS ADSL/modem router £66 which seems good value but the 54MBPS PCI cards are £37 each which would give a total of £214. So the big question is if I go for 11MBPS will I notice any deterioration in my internet performance? Or should I future proof and go for the 554MBPS option on the basis that I'm only going to spend this money once and I don't want to be stuck with slow internet performance for ever more. I presume also that a wireless network offers all the usual facilities of all being able to print to one printer and being able to drag files across etc. One final point which may be of relevance is that the building I live in is very old and some of the wall are up to 12 inches thick, will this adversely effect the wireless performance? Your opinions would be much appreciated.

byfordr 14:46 27 Feb 04

The advantage of the wireless G standard is you can also you B devices.

If one of the pcs is near a phone line, plumb that one in with the router using cat5e cable.
This cuts the cost one a wireless adapter.

The speeds are all theoritical, so in practise you are unlikely to see top speed or anything near it. However the top speed of broadband is a 2 meg connection (unless you have a kindly company, or deep pockets)So you don't come anywhere near to busting wireless connection. Except through file transfer between the pc's.

B standard seems to be better at punching through thicker walls.

The printer should be available as long as it is connected to one of the pcs and it is set up to allow access to all.

I think the G standard should be fine at creating a network in the house. Because the range is less than the b standard if you have thicker walls you may find the garden may not have a complete coverage.

cyberphobic 22:27 27 Feb 04

Thanks for your response, I'm not clear whether you are saying that the 11MBPS will be adequate for my needs and will offer at least as good performance as I currently get with my wired network or whether the 54MBPS is the better bet as it offers better range particularly through thick walls. Would you mind clarifying please?

JJCUK 23:33 27 Feb 04

Quote I recieved From Belkin

"On the other hand, 54G products have a longer range of reception than the 802.11b products."

Basically if you can afford it why not go with the "54G"

I currently run 54G and I to have thick walls, of course reception varies from location to location but it works reasonably well , some locations there is no reception at all though.

I have read stories both good and bad about wireless networks so I think its pretty hit or miss

Forum Editor 08:19 28 Feb 04

The quoted speeds are purely theoretical, and in real-world use you will not achieve that kind of performance. It won't matter, because your broadband connection isn't going to deliver at that rate anyway.

My advice is to go for the highest spec equipment you can justify, and set up a wireless router with its own inbuilt ADSL modem (my personal preference is for Netgear). Then equip your machines with wireless network adapters. You don't have to use PCI types if you don't want to; I use a mixture on my network - some PCI and some external USB adapters. In use I can tell no difference between them, and the USB type take five minutes to install. As byfordr said, you can connect one PC directly to the router with CAT5 cable if you want to save the cost of an adapter.

The answer to your printing/file transfer question is 'yes' by the way - a wireless network operates the same as any other network in that respect.

cyberphobic 13:51 01 Mar 04

Thanks very much for all your advice, obviously I now need to have a long hard think about whether I can justify the extra cost of a 54mbps network!

-Beb- 20:09 01 Mar 04

There is the 'turbo' thing which is basically 54g running at double speed. I dont know too much about this but there are a few wireless cards with this technology

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…