Wonderful?? inexpensive???? PC World??????

ronh 20:15 11 Dec 03

I decided to treat myself for crimbo with a new PDA. After much cogitation, I decided on the HP Ipaq 2210. As PCW had it on their site at £299.00 (at Dixons it was £299.99! go figure). Living in central London, I went to the Tottenham Court store to see what was on offer. They had it full price at £369.99, and were not interested in any other deal, they just shrugged. So I wandered down TC Rd and found it on sale for £299.00, which was cheaper than any I could find on the 'net, if you take into account P&P etc, so I was well satisfied.

I have never found anything in PC World stores that was not cheaper elsewhere.

PS, the Ipaq 2210 is a wonderful piece of kit, every bit as good as the reviews say, especially the handwriting recognition, which has to seen to be believed!

wee eddie 22:44 12 Dec 03

I believe that most of us can work out that the rent in TCR is somewhat higher than a Trading Estate in Bradford, which is probably where the Internet site has their warehouse.

You can even take it home with you!

I don't mean to sound cynical but I find statements like yours naive in the extreme.

Forum Editor 23:36 12 Dec 03

that if you spend enough time on it you can almost always find an item being sold cheaper than in PCWorld.

If your buying decisions are wholly governed by price then of course you can find virtually anything at a lower cost than in your local convenience store, and that doesn't only apply to computer products. That surely isn't the point here though is it? People go to stores like PC World because they tend to be conveniently located, and (more importantly) they hold a wide range of products in stock - you can almost always get what you want, or at worst an acceptable substitute in one of these stores.

Sir Radfordin 00:50 13 Dec 03

FE is so very right in what he is saying. It struck me the other day that that if it was about cost and sometimes time then I wouldn't shop in my local supermarket (I won't name names!) I know everytime I go in there will be staff with an attitude problem, ques so long that you can't get to any of the products and I'll be paying more than I would if I went to 6 other shops to get things. The reason I do go there is because I'm lazy and I can do everything I need under one roof and in one transaction.

The same is true of PCW, yes you may pay more than you do online but then I doubt anyone bothers to think about the value of their time. It may take 10 mins to get something from PCW though you could spend hours finding the best price on the net. Then wait around all day for it to come, and hope you don't have to send it back. If you costed up your time I'm sure PCW would often come out cheaper!

It serves a purpose, there must be a market for such a store or they wouldn't exisit. No-one forces anyone else to shop there so at the end of the day...whats the fuss all about?

woody147 01:53 13 Dec 03

Yes PC world are generally more expensive... you'll probably pay £500 extra for a pc because it has a blue strip led stuck to the front, and their sales staff probably can't tell the difference between a graphics card and a christmas card. However...i was impressed with their recent deal on the canon i850 printer at £99 when dabs and the like were still flogging them at £150odd

ronh 02:44 13 Dec 03

Uhh guys, it helps to read all the posting. I pointed out that I brought the goodies from a store just a few doors down from PWC in TCRd, so the internet site warehouse comparison doesn't hold up. As for being naive, I also pointed out that PCW was selling the item at a comparable low price if it was brought over the internet. So PCW competes on price where there is competition, and rips off everyone else. I do know the market, since in my job, I specify and negotiate purchases of maybe £100,000.00 of IT gear every year, but I still don't like to be ripped of, and I still like a bargin. The supermarket parallel doesn't hold water, most supermarkets are cheaper than smaller shops. Agreed, PCW carries a lot of stock, but it charges a premium price for people who have few local alternatives. You can check this out for yourself if you want to by doing a bit of reasearch on the financial and business press and looking at the companies annual reports and published strategic sales/business development plans.

ronh 02:56 13 Dec 03

PS, I originally wrote this after seeng a posting that sounded like it was writen by the PCW PR team, taking it in turns to outdo each other in adulation.
I also notice that an earlier reply to my posting which was very critical of PCW has suddenly disappeared. I realise that this may have been on legal advice, but at least that should have been stated, and with the Forum Editor chipping in, I cannot help but be just a tad suspicious that PWC's advertising buget has a finger on one side of the scales.

ronh 03:17 13 Dec 03

PPS I withdraw the suggestion re PCW advertising buget and its possible influences on PC Advisor unreservedly, and instead refer PCW fans to the Feb 2004 edition of PC Advisor (which is already out!), page 30, where some of PCW's less satisfied custmers stories are covered...... :-)

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:53 13 Dec 03

I feel that the Xmas spirit has been hammered unseasonally early, and in mammoth quantities.

I have just coughed up for the week's groceries at Waitrose and have noticed that Tesco, up the road, are a lot cheaper!!!!!!!!.......ahhh, the joys of the free economy. It is not like I was press-ganged into waitrose Still fail to see your point. If you have such a large IT budget I am sure that 'temptation to buy', price variation and price sacrificing would have occurred to you sooner. Like everything in life it is the responsibility of the purchaser to ensure that they can get a good price. Sometimes this price is not the cheapest. Every retailer competes with each other, especially if they are near and loss leaders are common in the trade.

'I specify and negotiate purchases of maybe £100,000.00 of IT gear every year'...and you spend it at PCW rather than getting a large discount directly from the supplier? I am somewhat perplexed. Are you sure you do not mean £100.

'You can check this out for yourself if you want to by doing a bit of research on the financial and business press and looking at the companies annual reports and published strategic sales/business development plans'...with your woeful lack of understanding of economic forces, I think your research is a little lacking as well.

'I cannot help but be just a tad suspicious that PWC's advertising buget(budget;-) ) has a finger on one side of the scales'....you are really hitting the bottle and your obvious lack of knowledge re. laws of slander is woeful. Are you sure that you are let loose with £100k in the big world?

' originally wrote this after seeng a posting that sounded like it was writen by the PCW PR team, taking it in turns to outdo each other in adulation'...you are certifiably barking. It was a posting by people that have had good service fro PCW. I have bought over 20 computers from there and am about to buy a Medion this pm. If this is waht you think of this forum I woulkd suggest you return to your chatrooms. You have no concept of real life. You also have a bit of a problem with PCW, but it does not mean that everyone else has. If you think that this forum is run by advertising wallahs then I would suggest that you leave and don't let the door hit you in the butt as you depart.

' where some of PCW's less satisfied custmers stories are covered'....therefore you would not shop anywhere that has negative customer feedback? Looks like the whole of the UK is a no-go area for you then.

'PPS I withdraw the suggestion re PCW advertising buget and its possible influences on PC Advisor unreservedly'...you cannot withdraw a written statement unless you have the agreement of the parties (ps buDget)...I would assume that you are now legally stuffed and I am also concerned about your state of mind. Were you dropped at PCW as a child?

You need urgent help.

G

wee eddie 12:18 13 Dec 03

seriously though.

PCW has it's good and bad points.

It's up to us to take advantage of the good and avoid the bad. I shop there on a regular basis, but do some research on the net first. If the price is competitive and the product handy, I buy at PCW. If the price is ott, then I would be mad to buy, but I take into account the problems of delivery in my decision!

mikef. 13:15 13 Dec 03

ronh The earlier reply to your posting that was very critical of PCW was removed for the very simple reason that it could have been libellous and got this site into serious trouble, it was a repeat of another comment that the FE has asked for further clarification on, before you croticise the FE about this it was me who contacted him about it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…