Wirelessly link PC with Laptop

Steve27 22:23 10 Apr 03

I want to link up my PC (Athlon 1400, WXP Home, 512 DDR Ram, Blueyonder Cable 512 Broadband, Surfboard SB 4100 Cable Modem) with my laptop in order to share my Broadband connection with it.

I would like to be able to use my laptop anywhere in the house my Questions:

Is it possible?
What equipment will I need to buy, and where is the best place to buy it?

I wondered if this should go in the helproom but really I would like recommendations on what to buy so I plumped for here.

fitshase 22:52 10 Apr 03

I think that this thread would be suited to the Helproom. However....

In answer to your question, it is possible.

I have exactly the same thing you want. My desktop runs XP pro and the laptop 98. I am on Blueyonder broadband also.

I use an Actiontec 802.11b wireless PCMCIA card for the laptop and a normal network card for the desktop. They are connected to a Netgear FM114P router (the laptop wirelessly and the desktop via a cable). That in turn is connected to the cable modem.

I chose that specific router because it had a print server built in but if that is not important then any wireless router will work.

I bought all of the gear from Dabs.com:
click here

I hope this helps

regards

Fitshase

dinom 23:14 10 Apr 03

We have had many cutomer requests lately for home wirless networks.We have been installing the new belkin 54g wireless router and pcmia card.
Excellent kit giving 54mps have one myself,easy set up.

ajm 00:06 11 Apr 03
  Steve27 00:37 11 Apr 03

Many Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…