Wireless router DG834PN

cactusjack 16:21 17 Dec 06

Hello,

I am looking to buy a wireless router today in time for Christmas - Netgear Wireless router DG834PN.

click here

Has anyone used this model before? - and would recommend it in terms of using a PC downstairs and another PC upstairs - can the wirless router cope?

Any feedback on this model is much appreciated, given I know little about wirless routers.

Also, for every machine that wants to use it, I figure that I have to buy one of these usb adaptors:
click here

I don;t fancy opening the machine and installing a card. Have you had good experiences using USB wireless adaptors?

Thanks.

Al94 16:35 17 Dec 06

Just bought one on Friday to replace my old Netgear 802.11b model which after three years or so was dropping the wireless connection intermittently. It was set up in literally seconds, a noticeable improvement in speed on the old model and so far no drop outs. Much better signal all over the house, two lap tops and two desktops all connected wirelessly, downstairs and upstairs. If you haven't had one before, it is the one to go for as it virtually sets itself up. You will need the USB adaptors unless your laptop has built in wireless.

grumpygramp 16:52 17 Dec 06

I have been using a"wired" version of the netgear 834 for the last 8 weeks and it is really good it must be one of the easiest to set up as it does most of the searching of its own accord .Broadbandbuyer.co.uk has them in stock and are very good on deliveries and after sales service

cactusjack 17:43 17 Dec 06

Thank you for thr replies so far.

I am about to place an order for the above product. However, I looked at the reviews on Amazon, and it all seems very unstable: click here

The product works for some, but not for others. Wireless connectivity still seems too unreliable.
I am not sure what to do at this stage. With the potential for 3 machines needing connectivity by next year, wireless is ideal. However, it all seems too unstable.

Al94 20:34 17 Dec 06

All I can say is that mine is steaming along with no problems. You have a full 2 year Netgear warranty and their reputation is sound. I wouldn't be put off by one or two iffy reviews on Amazon - you dont know the circumstances and Im sure hundreds sold without issues

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced