wireless networking help

smy13 00:12 09 Dec 04

I'm struggling to get my wireless network sharing files and printers; I've got the internet connection running Ok. But I can't see the other Pc's on the network. I've run the wireless networking wizard and then run the normal networking wizard as per the instructions in XP, however I've not been able to plug the USB pen drive into my router as it has no port for this.
I'm running an Addon War2000 router and laptop cards. Any advice would be gratefully received
or can anyone point me to some good online resources

Modo 07:35 09 Dec 04

Start by checking your Firewall settings.

Turn off all Firewalls and see if you can see the other computers now.

If you have a stand alone firewall as well as the built in Windows XP SP2 Firewall Security Centre Combo still check the Windows Fireall settings for the wireless connection in Network Connections.

Modo 07:37 09 Dec 04

By check I am saying check it is unchecked!!!

smy13 22:17 09 Dec 04

Modo
Great advice solved all issues. Not one article I've read on this subject or any person I've spoke to mentioned this

thanks

Modo 09:10 10 Dec 04

Now reactivate one Firewall - using the ip addresses of your computers as acceptable connections.

And don't forget to include the ip address of your access point (ap) if that is your set up.

That would have been my next question to you - this one seems to fool most of us most of the time - I spent an hour on sunday trying to solve a problem with one of our compuerts. I went to MS knowlege base and everywhere else. Then something triggered. I went back and checked the firewall settings. I had put a 9 not an 8 in one of the ip addresses in the Firewall settings!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…