Wireless Networking - Any Advice?

The Turner 18:51 18 May 04

I am planning to purchase a new computer soon and I wish to network it to an existing computer (both on Windows XP Home). I only wish to network these two computers, but I don't really know what hardware or software I would need. It will be inpractical for me to use a wired network, so I will have to use wireless. The speed of the network isn't really a problem to me either.

I have seen the following products and I am wondering if just having two of these (one on each computer) will do the job.
click here
click here

I mainly require easy transfer of files from one computer to the other, but if I could have both connected to the internet that would also help. (I am using an ISDN connection). I am on a very tight budget for this though!

Any help would be great, thanks a lot!

Gaz 25 19:20 18 May 04

Ok: click here

Buy two of them, or use the USB one if you need too.

Long as both PCs have one WiFi adapter in.

Then use microsofts internet connection sharing, XP will help you on network set-up wizard.

Ensure you enable WEP.

Minkey1 19:54 18 May 04

We have a desktop on XP Home, and a laptop on XP Pro, which came with 802.11b built in. I got a Linksys USB11 .11b adapter (approx £50) for the dt, enabled ICS on it to share the broadband connection, and set the printer to share. The young un can wirelessly surf and print, all works fine, for £50 cant be bad. Points:
1. This is called an ad hoc/peer to peer set up. The dt needs to be on all the time. Otherwise you're looking at adapters for each, plus an access point.
2. Your firewall MUST be configured to allow the remote kit to get access.
3. WEP adds additional security preventing any passing tosser outside to use your network.
4. Despite the hype, set up isn't straightforward, I think due to the many different ways it can be done. Gaz's suggestion of using XP's wizard takes some of the aggro out of it.

Good luck !

The Turner 17:00 21 May 04

Thanks for your help!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…