Wireless Network - which?

griffo 16:32 21 Jun 03

I am installing a BT Homehighway (can't get broadband here!) and want to use a wireless network for 2 desktop PC's and maybe a laptop. PC nearest BT stuff is oldest - Evesham Platinum P11 266Mhz, using W98 and I was going to connect to Highway via USB port. Other desktop is a Mesh P4 1.3Ghz also on W98. Laptop is HP Omnibook XE3 using XP.

Can you please suggest what I need to get to wireless network these?

Forum Editor 18:16 21 Jun 03

will require a wireless network adapter - either an internal PCI type (PCMCIA card type for the laptop) or external USB models by Belkin or A.N. Other.

I suggest that you buy a Linksys wireless access point, and use it to distribute the wireless network.

Start the Internet sharing wizard on the machine with WinXP, and when it offers to make a floppy for use on the other machines do that. Then use the floppy to configure the other two machines.

It's actually easier to do than to describe, and if you follow the WinXp prompts it's difficult to go wrong.

griffo 11:08 23 Jun 03

thanks for that. I believe Linksys have recently launched a new access point - 54g or somesuch? Which model should I go for, also, Belkin PCI cards seem to be nearly 2x the cost of other makes, is this justified?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…