WIreless Home Network - Advice please

swervy 10:05 15 Dec 03

Because of a change in family numbers I am having to give up my PC set up in my spare bedroom and move to a 'laptop' which I can use wherever I have space to sit! I therefore need to make my internet access 'wireless'.

I currently have NTL cable broadband access via a 10/100 link between PC and modem. I want to be able to plug the 10/100 cable into a router (?) and put a PCMCIA wireless card in a laptop.

Can anyone offer advice on whether this is the right way to go and what products would fit the bill, please.

I would also like to link wirelessly to my USB printer. Is this something that can be covered in one hit?

Thanks

bfoc 13:06 15 Dec 03

I have my NTL Cable BB plugged into a wireless router and then the wired cable that used to run from the settop box runs from the router to my machine.

Additionally my children (both at Uni) and my wife can use the broadband connection on their laptop(s) or desktop anywhere in the house (and most of the garden), using USB or built in adapters.

I also set up a local network with my machine and one laptop. This means that, as long as my machine is on, the laptop can, wirelessly, send to either of my printers (as long as they are switched on too!)

I obtained an Actiontec NTL brodband router 'kit' at a reasonable price in an auction and they are still sold via NTL I believe. However exactly the same router, minus the usb adapter, can also be bought at numbers of on-line stores at a somewhat cheaper price.

Hope this helps!

swervy 22:16 15 Dec 03

Thanks BFOC but what WiFi standard are you using? Where is the WiFi transmitter [I want to put mine in the loft]?

Also, I do not take a cable from my set top box but instead use an NTL Broadband Internet modem.

bfoc 23:43 15 Dec 03

Is .11b.

The router is a small box and I'm not sure I would recommend it going in the loft, as then a large part of the field would be 'radiating' through the roof!.

My router sits on a shelf in the living room just behind the TV and reaches upstairs and into the study, and even down the garden fine.

I don't believe that there should be any difference in practice between the modem and the set top box (but I'm open to correction here!), in that the wire you connect to the router should be the standard network connection, and cable broadband is the same whether delivered via an integrated modem on a set-top box or a 'stand-alone' cable modem. But others may be able to comment from personal experience on that!

swervy 15:53 17 Dec 03

BFOC, thanks for this especially about the loft.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…