Wireless Connection

one23 16:06 08 Aug 04

I posted last month that I was in the market for a "desktop replacement" and received very good advice.

Before making my final decision , I hope someone can give me a few tips as to how be able to use the laptop anywhere in the house or garden and be able to use the internet or printer wirelessly.

What sort of gear must I buy?

Will it be secure on the net , if not what software is required?

Any general advice would be appreciated .

Thanks.

Charence 18:53 08 Aug 04

Your laptop will need a Wireless Network Interface Card (NIC) and you'll also need a wireless ADSL router and a wireless Print Server. I recommend that you get the 802.11g 54mbps standard.

I recommend the following products:

Wireless NIC - Netgear WG511 or Belkin (F5D7010uk) 802.11g Wireless Notebook Network Card
Wireless Router - Netgear WGR614 or Belkin (F5D7630uk4A) ADSL Modem With Built-In 11g Wireless Router
Wireless Print Server - Belkin (F1UP0001uk) Wireless Print Server

I recommend the Belkin ADSL Router and it is cheaper to buy from Savastore click here or EBuyer click here

Charence

one23 20:06 08 Aug 04

Thank you for the info . Just what I needed .Will go into it more tomorrow.

byfordr 23:41 08 Aug 04

Depending whether you have BT or cable will influence the choice of kit.

A all in one unit including wireless router, hardware firewall and modem is the easiest way to go.

Normally some good bundles here click here

For BT with free adapter for laptop or desktop click here

Thread with info click here

HTH

R

one23 07:41 09 Aug 04

Appreciate all your help and links. The subject is much clearer to me now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…