Wireless Broadband ISP

agarm11 20:50 09 May 05

My mum is currently on AOL dialup, but she will soon be getting a new laptop with wireless. I have just spoken to AOL, who say that only their gold package is suitable for wireless networking. To be honest, she will only use it occasionally, and there will only be the laptop on broadband and paying the extra £8 or so would not be worth it.
Eitherway, AOL said that the modem only has a USB port, anyone know of a wireless router with USB, or an ISP that provides a modem with an RJ45 connection?

TIA

I'm not sure about the Gold package from AOL - I thought that any connection could be wireless as long as you set it up properly and that your ISP have no control over that?

As for the modem. You will still need to buy a wireless router and you can buy some that have an ADSL modem built into them anyway so that should not be a problem. click here

Josie2805 00:04 10 May 05

AOL only support networking on BB gold, but it works on Silver package although only one screen name can be signed on at same time.

TomJerry 11:46 10 May 05

as suggested by "[email protected]", get a wireless router with adsl modem build-in, it should work with most ISPs, not sure about AOL because it always does its own things

agarm11 18:56 10 May 05

Thanks for the replies? I am more than happy with how to set up a network whether it be wireless or not, but that is the big question, if I bought a modem/router, would it work with AOL? If anybody has any experience with other ISPs and using your own modem/router, I would be interested to hear which ISPs with.
TIA

TomJerry 21:43 10 May 05

standard modem/router will work with standard ISPs

only non-stardard ISP is AOL

agarm11 22:36 10 May 05

LOL - How unusual, AOL being different from everyone else! OK so that just about answers the question, I suppose its going to have to be BT etc. Thanks for that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…