Wired mobile connection to router/switcher?

michael1965 10:30 21 Feb 14

Hi,

I've got a BT Hub 3 (ASDL), that connects to an 8 port BT Switcher that sends the broadband signal to a number of devices. A truck knocked the telegraph pole over and we now have no broadband signal getting to the switcher.

Using a usb>Ethernet adapter, could I connect the iPhone to the Ethernet port on the switcher to provide internet access to it? Such that the switcher is now getting it's signal from the iPhone rather than the BT Hub router? (the iPhone is the latest model with unlimited data).

If this is possible - how do I do it???

alanrwood 13:11 21 Feb 14

Is your iPhone using 3G for internet access?

Not sure how it would work anyway but if you have 3G access why not just get a cheap dongle and a 3G router to feed the network with internet access. I recommend the Zoom router (not the mobile one)as I have used it up at my caravan for about 3 years with no problem and it does feed 4 computers at the same time via a 5 port cheap switch. Guess it depends on how long it is going to take to fix the pole.

Woolwell 15:22 21 Feb 14

Very much doubt that a USB ethernet adaptor would work especially as the iPhone doesn't have a USB port.

You could use the iPhone as a wifi hotspot and connect other device to it by wifi. You would need to have it on charge as it would definitely consume battery.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…