WinXP/SP2 - Home networking

baucis 20:35 08 Nov 04

I have three computers running 98SE and the network was fully functional. I have now upgraded to XP on this computer, have a broadband connection on this machine. Having followed all the correct procedures I try to run the networking wizard. This appears to be working but isn't. I am not impatient but on one occasion I ran it all night with no success! When I try to close the Wizard down it does not respond. Ctrl/alt/del doesn't raise Task Manager and I have to resort to a physical reboot by pressing the reset button on the computer. This happens every time I run the Wizard. Network places can usually see all the computers and they can usually see this one.
Anyone any ideas?

howard60 22:32 08 Nov 04

i suspect a firewall problem - could be windows. I do not run the network wizard but set the ip address manually.

Big Spring 21:29 10 Nov 04

If you haven't already, check your modem/router manufacturer's support page for SP2 optimized drivers. If you have the software for your modem/router and your ISP's settings try configuring the network yourself and bypassing the network wizard altogether.

fourjays 21:35 10 Nov 04

Ifyou have a router, you just plug it all in and it finds it automatically. At least thats what I did.

Before, I used to run the network connection wizard, then go and set the IPs manually to 10.0.0.1, 10.0.0.2, 10.0.0.3, etc.

If you have SP2, make sure that 'File and Printer Sharing' is allowed.

Thats all I can think of, having had only limited experience with networking my own two computers.

woodt 12:27 11 Nov 04

About half way down this link is info which might be useful to you click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…