WinFS is destined to supersede FAT and NTFS

TOPCATt® 19:46 18 Jun 03

Quote: 'The Windows Future Storage (Win FS) file system will take its place in Longhorn, the successor to the XP OS. For the first time, a server technology will manage data on home PCs via a relational database. This article traces its development and lifts the veil on file systems of the future...'

An informed read can be found click here TC.

powerless 20:25 18 Jun 03

Well you think it would as its with the new Windows OS!

powerless 20:25 18 Jun 03

A little late TC i read that article yesterday ;-)

VoG® 21:40 18 Jun 03

"WinFS is not a file system" - click here near the bottom.

powerless 23:13 18 Jun 03

One says it is the other says it isn't.

DieSse 23:28 18 Jun 03

I am underwhelmed by any argument over what is a filing system. If it's reliable, fast, compatible and scaleable - who cares what the technology is behind it? Besides, Content Addressable File Stores (if that's what it is), are hardly world shattering news.

powerless 23:30 18 Jun 03

I like technology.

DieSse 23:51 18 Jun 03

"I like technology."

We're getting a little philosophical here - are you sure you really mean this - or do you mean you like the benefits technology can give you?

powerless 00:07 19 Jun 03

I like to know how something works, whats the reason behind it. That way it helps me to undertstand and eventually come to use a piece of technology better.

ok, ok, so its a file system (or maybe not as vogs links says) but as its the builing of a new operating system...

DieSse 00:36 19 Jun 03

I find these days getting to grips with what things do, let alone how they do them, is all I can take!! Old age I guess.

Still, my instincts are with you - I like to know at least the principles behind things, if not the details. It's just there's so much to know about now (and not just in computing).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…