Windows XP security to get much tighter

TOPCAT® 16:26 31 Mar 04

with the release of SP2 which, according to this article, will be at the end of June 2004. TC.

Quote:

'Microsoft is preparing an update to Windows XP that is intended to make the operating system more secure. Dubbed Service Pack 2 (SP2) the update will close some loopholes that virus writers and malicious hackers have exploited to infect or take over PCs.

The add-on for XP will also include extras that block pop-up ads by default and give users a clearer picture of how secure their system is.

The update is due to be finished and released to users by the end of June...'

click here

Forum Editor 18:21 31 Mar 04

for some time now, and can confirm that it's an excellent update. I've just taken part in a Microsoft online discussion for beta testers of the SP2 code, and most people agree - it's a very welcome addition to WinXP.

It will be interesting to see what our forum members think about it when it goes public in a couple of months or so.

fuzzyone 18:48 31 Mar 04

Is there a definite file size for SP2.?

obbit 18:51 31 Mar 04

it will turn on the XP firewall by default. thats a problem when zone alarm is present. looks like i will turn it off again. just hope i don't have to keep turning it off every time i boot up!!

powerless 19:41 31 Mar 04

click here

273MB.

[BE safe: Wait for final release]

SP2: A welcomed update from this users view.

Methinks the server is a little busy right now - even with a 1mbps connection I am told 38 hours 20 minutes remaining.......

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…