Windows XP Home - Security Updates

JohnRW 15:50 11 Feb 04

I've just downloaded and installed the latest Security Update, and, out of interest, looked back at the list of those that I've installed on this PC. There have been 42 in the last 11 months!! I can't help but wonder if Win XP Home could be considered - in Trading Standards terms - "fit for the purpose that it was intended for" or "of a satisfactory quality". If a car manufacturer released a new model that needed that number of safety modifications in that short length of time, I'm quite sure that either Trading Standards or a consumer would commence legal action to obtain some financial recompense for being "sold a pup"! However, apart from the security aspects, I'm very happy with the program. How do others feel?

igk 20:13 12 Feb 04

Hi,I agree 100% but short of changing over to linux (needs more support and more complicated) there's not a lot we can do, I have had xp pro for around 7 months and its only crashed on me once! as opposed to 98 that used to crash around once a day and I use the pc all day,every day.The important thing is to keep up with the updates(in my opinion).

Stuartli 09:40 13 Feb 04

Not every consumer product you buy has the ability to be configured in literally mnny millions of different ways - there are bound to be problems on occasions.

However, like igk, I'm delighted with XP - it has proved the most stable, completely trouble free OS I've ever used and that includes Windows 3x, 95, 98 and 98SE.

JohnRW 11:10 13 Feb 04

Thanks for your responses igk and Stuartli. Couldn't agree with you more about XP being much more stable than previous Windows systems. So far XP hasn't crashed at all in 11 months of hard use (fingers and legs crossed now!). It's just the security problems with XP that I'm worried about -particularly since M/S seem to be putting so much work into producing Longhorn, whilst XP is still "unsafe". Oh well, will just have to keep on keeping on installing all those darned patches! Thanks again.

Stuartli 15:31 13 Feb 04

XP is perhaps somewhat older than you think...:-)

mbp 16:14 13 Feb 04

I have configured to have my MS critical downloads, and virus definition updates done automatically in the background. I am usually not even aware of the updates or even of the number of trojan attacks that have been stopped. Perhaps I am too trusting and dependent on the programs working as it should. I can only keep my fingers crossed that everything is working as they should. I do occasionally check that I am up to date and it usually is.

JohnRW 16:07 14 Feb 04

Thanks again Stuartli for yours of 13th, and mbp, also of 13th - I think I'll just have to become more trusting!

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:24 14 Feb 04

'If a car manufacturer released a new model that needed that number of safety modifications in that short length of time, I'm quite sure that either Trading Standards or a consumer would commence legal action to obtain some financial recompense for being "sold a pup"!'....Audi TT, 105+...woof, woof.

99% of all security updates are really for networks. Any OS can be compromised with a bit of thought, even Linux servers are having a right old bashing of recent. Hackers are NOT interested in home computers, you have no need to worry especially if your AV is always current. Even if you do get a virus or Trojan removal is double easy and the harm is barely noticeable.

G

HXP 22:44 14 Feb 04

My new system arrives in a few weeks with XP installed. I have only got a dial up connection ..... how big are these updates and if too big how am I going to patch XP ?

wags 23:09 14 Feb 04

I have disabled automatic updates as the last one caused start up problems with my PC and I had to do a system restore . I am thinking along the same lines as GANDALF <|:-)> and have confidence in my Sophos AV dealing with the nasties....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…