Windows XP Activation by Microsoft

Curio 20:09 26 Dec 03

Conversation with a Computer Engineer has led me to believe that this routine is now no longer required as it conflicts with theData Protection Act. Can anyone confirm this or say it is under consideration?

bremner 20:14 26 Dec 03

Total rubbish - as no personal data is required.

spuds 20:52 26 Dec 03

The only way that it involves the Data Protection Act, is if any information is personal. The activation of XP doesn't require you to give any 'personal' details.So as bremner as stated, the computer engineer is talking Total rubbish.

Gaz 25 21:44 26 Dec 03

He aint even know what Product Activation includes from the user.

Stay clear of him, mate. ;-)

Regards,
Gareth

Forum Editor 23:53 26 Dec 03

the data protection act only applies if your personal data is collected, and it isn't when you activate Windows. You do provide personal data if you register your software, but that's a different (and voluntary) procedure, and not necessary for Windows to function correctly.

When you activate Windows XP you send Microsoft what's called a 'hash' - which is a data string containing the ident of the CD which was used, together with details of the system hardware. This identifies the individual copy of Windows, and the computer on which it was installed - but not you, the user.

simongy 21:16 27 Dec 03

If you ring up with the details cause you are not connected to the internet: how is the product activated?????????????

Jester2K 21:48 27 Dec 03

You give them a code from Windows XP. They give you a code back to enter into Windows XP. Code is determined by what hardware you have (called a Hash). Usually done by touch tone phone and doesn't require you to talk to someone.

Just do it - you'll be surprised...

Wilham 21:57 27 Dec 03

I bought WinXPpro for my desktop about a year ago. After loading, it ran ok but warned I had 45 days or whatever to activate. I already had WinXPhome on my laptop, and indeed I did overrun the XPpro time. At that point my desktop booted up all right but would do little else except require activation code for XPpro to be forwarded. This I had to do, and all went well.
At no time was my ISP/internet connection affected.
As FE says, the software/ hardware code/data are required, not personal info.

Stuartli 16:06 28 Dec 03

I installed a Mesh system for a friend at the beginning of September, which came with XP Home preinstalled.

Activation only required entering the MS XP Home code string into the form fields - there were no links to Microsoft or anyone else for that matter.

The code string was carried on a label stuck on the top of the system case.

WebmasterPolo 16:05 09 Jan 04

I bought a new PC recently and when l turned it on it asked my to "activate" it. I simply called MS with the number on the screen and they gave me a long code to enter. Once done it simply booted windows XP as usual.

Very simple process.

Stuartli 17:38 09 Jan 04

Even more simple the way I described...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…