Windows XP

jamesyt 19:55 08 Feb 03

Is Windows XP worth the upgrade? I'm asking because I currently run Win 98 SE and I'm looking to upgrade but I don't know much about Win XP. Is it any good? Do you have to register and buy it every year like i've heard? Are there compatibility problems?

Like to know what you guys think.

James

« Ravin » 20:04 08 Feb 03

it's excellent! you have to activate it once when you first install it but that's it.. activation is NOT an issue.

you do not have to buy it every year (??) you can download the upgrade advisor from the ms site as well as look at the compatible hardware list to see if you can upgrade to xp.

what kind of specs does your computer have?

*mark 21:52 08 Feb 03

I have XP. If I were you Id put off moving upto XP untill you buy a new computer - if your not going to buy a new machine for a couple of years then it might be worth upgrading if you really really want it... but personally id put the XP upgrade money towards a new machine that will come with XP installed..

Hope this helps.

Mark.

PS - How much does an XP upgrade cost anyway ?

Peter E 21:57 08 Feb 03

Here's a link that may be useful... click here

Check out the hardware compatibility link.

And here's some more information... click here

In my opinion, Windows XP is a must.

Regards

redelf 23:24 08 Feb 03

have a look here - click here

I am sure XP is as fine as people say it is, but why spend money on an O/S, if your current one is fine, when that £80 odd could be spent on something else.

Forum Editor 23:44 08 Feb 03

if your present machine is getting even slightly long in the tooth it might well be a good idea to save your money towards your next machine - it will automatically come with Windows XP.

Otherwise,there's no doubt that XP is a delight to use, and very few people regret migrating to it.

Pumas 00:01 09 Feb 03

If your computer meets all the required spec.; go for it!

-pops- 13:11 09 Feb 03

I, like a number of others here probably, did beta testing for XP where we installed it alongside W98 or ME. As far as I'm concerned if worked fine BUT - you must have plenty of room on your hard drive to accommodate its huge size and have plenty of RAM for it to work efficiently.

If you can fulfil the above, go for it. XP is definitely the best of the versions of Windows so far and well worth installing.

All this once a year stuff is idle gossip!!

Brian

microswift 18:51 09 Feb 03

For me the one compelling reason for getting XP is the stability it offers over previous MS OS's.

jamesyt 20:34 09 Feb 03

Thanks guys.

Sounds like Windows XP is worth having. I might buy a new PC rather than upgrade but knowing Microsoft they'll release a new Operating System in a few months making Win XP obsolete.

James

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:59 09 Feb 03

If your OS is working fine then there is no reason to 'upgrade'.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…