Windows works in mysterious ways

Curio 13:52 26 Jun 04

On Thursday evening last, I updated Windows Media Player from 8 to 9. Having installed it and two Microsoft updates I found I had lost all my audio. On top of that Dragon NS would not recognise the headset I use and when the program was closed, it wiped the list of users. After much experimentation and no real success I carried out a System Restore. All was well - or so I thought. Checking WMP I found it was still version 8 and still playing up. In the end I thought a Windows XP Repair would be necessary. However I decided to undo the System restore before taking that step. Having done that and checking everything over twice and again today, everything is back to normal with WMP 9 installed and running correctly as is Dragon NS.
Anyone else had this type of thing happen to them? Gremlins or what?

Forum Editor 15:15 26 Jun 04

Using a Windows restore point will obviously mean that any software installed after the date on which the restore point was created will not be there - that's the whole idea. Data files will be unaffected however.

Sometimes Windows updates do cause problems, but they seem to do it on a totally random basis. I've known ten networked machines to run perfectly after an update, whereas two other (identical) computers on the same network developed all kinds of glitches - but not the same glitches.

When you're shifting millions of lines of code around it's more or less inevitable, and most of the time it can be sorted out fairly easily, so it's not too important......which fortunately seems to be the case with your problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…