Windows updates

Newuser2533 21:51 11 Oct 05

I have Windows XP and Microsoft Antispyware.
The automatic update began at 10pm last night and by midnight only 20% had been downloaded.....how big is this update.
I appreciate a broadband connection would have sorted it but I haven't got one.
Do you think the freeby CD's from the magazines might be putting this update on thier discs?
Regards.
Ron

Forum Editor 23:19 11 Oct 05

are you downloading?

WhenHeavenTouchesEarth 09:34 12 Oct 05

Prob ably the 7 ish security updates that were available last night. Well, 6 security updates and one Antispyware tool update too.

Took about 15-20 mins on 2mbit broadband, so could take a while longer on dialup.

iscanut2 09:48 12 Oct 05

I gave up trying to do the auto update and installation last night as it was VERY slow. Instead, I downloaded the individual files, saved them and then installed them all in less time that I had previously been waiting. I assume that everyone ( at lease all UK users ) were trying to update at the same time late afternoon, early evening.

wee eddie 09:55 12 Oct 05

M$ has, at least, made sure that Updates are cumulative.

In other words, if you have to log off during the download, it re-starts at approximately the same place as you left it, rather than having to start from the beginning again.

dth 12:36 12 Oct 05

thats sounds like a big step forward wee eddie

smokingbeagle 12:48 12 Oct 05

Newuser2533

The updates were 7.8Mb. Don't recall seeing any CDs from mags with updates.

iscanut2 15:49 12 Oct 05

You will never see any Microsoft updates etc on magazine disks.

ulrich 20:39 12 Oct 05

When I went on it I think it said 3hrs plus, luckily I do have bb so only about 10mins.

Stuartli 23:34 12 Oct 05

You may find it easier and quicker to download the monthly updates from the Security Bulletin page on an individual basis:

click here

Install each one, choose to reboot later and when you have downloaded and installed them all, reboot your system.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…