Windows Update ?????????

alanstan 11:52 06 Sep 08

This morning I got a Windows update (XP) and as I was doing some work I did not take much notice and clicked yes,
I am sure it was a virus as my anti-virus sent me a warning but again as I was working I ignored it, I am now having quite a game with my laptop, it has slowed to a crawl, I am now going to a restore point in hope that no damage has been done,
This has been caused by my own stupidity and inexperiance,
anyone else experenced this ??

tullie 14:10 06 Sep 08

To be honest,no,i only get any updates from microsoft.

Forum Editor 14:11 06 Sep 08

from the Windows update site.

UncleP 11:44 07 Sep 08

Was this the XP SP3 update (which asks for permission to proceed even if you have set automatic install)? There have apparently been a number of problems with this, according to posts in the Helproom forum, some of which give precautions to be taken and solutions if faults occur.

iscanut2 11:58 07 Sep 08

What was the update ? You can find out by checkibg your update history on Update site. The only ones that seem to come through on other than the second Tuesday of month are Defender updates, and possible SP3 for those that have not upgraded.

tillybaby 14:24 07 Sep 08

My computer was set on automatic update but not anymore after the last one,

When I booted the computer up again there wasn't a sound to be heard which really annoyed me because for a start I trusted Microsoft and for another I'm not that computer literate so that I could start messing about with things I didn't understand, I did a search and it seems lots of people had the same problem.

Forum Editor 14:41 07 Sep 08

Whatever the problem was,it wasn't a virus. You trusted Microsoft in this respect because you can - they are obsessive about keeping their server downloads absolutely clean.

You say "there wasn't a sound", which leads me to think that you may have downloaded a new driver for your soundcard via the update site. If that was the case it's the soundcard manufacturer who may have the problem. Drivers on the Microsoft download site have been provided by third party companies, although they are verified by Microsoft, and should not throw up any compatibility issues.

Whatever you do, don't stop taking the security updates from Microsoft - they're essential if you are to remain secure against new vulnerability exploits.

tillybaby 16:04 07 Sep 08

Thank you for that information F.E.

First thing I will do is change the settings back to automatic updates, I must admit I've never had a problem in the past, maybe I shouldn't have done a search and scared myself with some of the posts I read, it's true when they say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…