Windows Server 2003

jg1990 12:53 27 Oct 04

Hi guys and gals,

Ive got a network consisting of 2 PC's and 1 laptop. Managing the network has become a bit of a problem for me. I store the files on of the the PC's to make backups easier. However, when I come to do virus checks, run adaware, spybot and CCleaner on the individual machines it takes ages.

So I was wondering if it's worth me using a old spare PC (750MHz) running Windows Server 2003 to act as a domain controller, then have the individual machines log into the domain. All the other computers are running XP Pro.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks, James

recap 16:05 27 Oct 04

When running any cleaning utility one thing you must remember is that it will look at all files and folders on the system.

With yours being networked the utility will look at all the users files and folders also. This may be why it takes so long to run?

With you only having 3 computers in total I do not see any advantage of install W2003 server, not unless you are going to run it as a test bench system.

Urotsukidoji 17:00 27 Oct 04

i would not recommend anyone installing W2k3 server for home use,

its pointless for home users/ small networks of your size.

unless you know what you are doing you will be wasting alot of money on a piece of software that you will not use most of the functionality it is designed for. and for the most part support for "untrained" users can come expensive, because microsoft will support it but charge on a per case basis.

you have been warned

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…