Windows Media Center - general question

Brassneck 21:29 03 Nov 04

Have been weighing up the pros & cons of a new PC with Windows MCE. I use a lot of A/V apps and would like to have the TV record & play functions - but do they work OK?

The earlier thread about problems with a Tiny MCE has made me a bit wary but what I wanted to know is has anyone got anything good to say about this flavour of Windows? You can get other 'media centre' PCs that seem to have all the same hardware but use ordinary XP. Which is better?

OK, I know that was three questions:)

Sparrowhawk 12:26 04 Nov 04

APPARENTLY, 2 first versions of Media Center (part of MS Windows XP in Media Center versions) were not good enough as functionalities were there but "quality of video was less than a $100 DVD player" (Here, I only quote the main criticism that has been aimed at 2 first versions)

APPARENTLY, 3rd version (Media Center 2005) will offer better video quality.

The REMOTE is the big thing here.

In summary, if you can grab a Media Center PC for a decent price, go for it.
Some manufacturers do choose to implement their own or partners solutions - other than MS Windows Media Center - which work as well and might be cheaper.

Brassneck 21:57 16 Nov 04

Yes, I'm almost convinced that the MCE is the way to go.

But...ATI do something that sounds very similar with their all-in-wonder cards. Apart from the deeply crap name does anyone have any thoughts on these. Are they comparable with MCE PCs? Do they do much the same thing?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…