Windows Defender on XP

sunny staines 18:21 18 Aug 07

On a recent reinstall i did not load defender as it never found anything despite set to daily scans each night. any spyware was always picked up by other software on weekly scans.

can any one give a good reason for reinstall of DEFENDER. or has had it come up with any thing positive . I get the impression its there to fool people that ms is protecting them probably wrong but if they are going to do something why are their tools always so poor.

rdave13 18:34 18 Aug 07

Just recently bought a laptop which has a rather weak cpu, 1.76 GHz and 1 GB ram. Vista premium OS and the first thing I did was disable defender. Never thought much of it and was using resources and never actually finding anything. Maybe someone here thinks defender is worth running I certainly don't.

Probabilitydrive 19:02 18 Aug 07

Wind Defender includes the Software Explorer to manage startup programs - (disabling/removing them).

From its interface you can monitor the programs that automatically start when Windows boots up. A useful feature as it shortens the time you have to wait till you can use Windows.

Jimmy14 12:31 19 Aug 07

I can honestly say it is garbage. Microsoft release a definition update about every 2 months.

i have still yet to find anybody who has known defender find anything. waste of space IMHO

Colin 12:41 19 Aug 07

"I can honestly say it is garbage. Microsoft release a definition update about every 2 months."

That statement is garbage. I use Defender and there are updates every 2 to 3 days. True, it's never found anything, but maybe that's down to my surfing habits. This topic has been raised before as a Microsoft bashing exercise, is this one as well? If you think it's no good, use another. Simple as that.

anskyber 12:42 19 Aug 07

Hi. checking my Defender updates it works out about every 3-4 days on average. About once a month I use Spybot, AdAware and A2 to scan. nothing found.

Remember, Defender is a real time service which is not as reliant on scans. To a degree perhaps all the false positives some get with other programs gives comfort...."it's finding something"

Colin 12:47 19 Aug 07

"I can honestly say it is garbage. Microsoft release a definition update about every 2 months."

That statement is garbage. I use Defender and it updates every 2 to 3 days. True, it’s never notified me of anything, but that's because I’ve set it not to inform me if it does and also down to my surfing habits. I use AVG Free and it’s never found a virus on my PC. Does that make AVG Free garbage as well?

This topic has been raised before and ended up as a Microsoft bashing exercise. Is this one as well?

If you don’t like it use another program. Simple as that.

anskyber 12:50 19 Aug 07

I'll try again, my post seems to have got lost as this moved to CW.

Checking my updates for Defender I see it updates about every 3-4 days on average. Remember this is a real time program which relies less on scanning.

I use Spybot, AdAware and A2 once a month and they find nothing. To a degree the programs that appear to find things, usually harmless cookies, or give false positives are misleading and just give comfort to those who think ..... "it must be working because it's finding things"

holme 12:51 19 Aug 07

Sorry to be contrarian but we run Defender (in parallel with Ashampoo AntiSpyware) on all our machines and Defender does occasionally find things which AntiSpyware doesn't. For us, it's a belt-and-braces thing.

Earlier quote: "Microsoft release a definition update about every 2 months."

Definition (signature) updates come in typically 1-3 times a week (8 to date this month). It's upgrades to the Defender application which come in every 2 months or so.

Defender seems to do its job, it takes up negligible resources, and it's free. Why knock it?

holme 13:03 19 Aug 07

Our last post also got lost somewhere so here's a retread.

For the record, we've already had 8 Defender *signature* updates this month, so every 2-3 days it is. It's updates to the underlying Defender *application* which come in every couple of months or so.

We run Defender in parallel with the excellent Ashampoo Antispyware on all our machines and, on occasions, Defender picks up something AntiSpyware has missed. It's a belt-and braces thing.

It seems to do its job, it takes up negligible resources and it's free. So why knock it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…