Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) - yes or no?

bigBoris 10:01 11 Jan 05

Father Christmas is about to deliver me a belated present - a new evesham computer. On my present system I used spybot S & D and whilst have had no problems, have no idea if its doing the complete job. Have seen articles re windows antispyware and wondering anyone had any experiences. Should I try or stick to Spybot or Adaware or some other. Advice appreciated.

Stuartli 10:24 11 Jan 05

The fact that it is only in beta form at present means you may find unexpected problems.

Better to stick to Search and Destroy 1.3 plus Ad-aware SE Personal and SpywareBlaster (which works in the background).

All are well proven and reliable but it's essential to update them regularly to maintain security and effectiveness.

Jdoki 10:25 11 Jan 05

I installed it yesterday and on first impressions I like it. It would appear MS just bought out a company called GIANT, and rebadged their software as their own...

The biggest positive is the real time monitoring - it sits in your task bar and stops spyware before it gets on your PC, which is nice.

Also it monitors the attacks that the software stops and, with your permission, feeds the info back to MS - this results in faster updates of definitions, as everyone getting attacked is also helping stop others being hit.

It's user friendly, but as expected it's very 'Inter Explorer centric' - there's a whole options section just for IE monitoring - but then again, IE generally needs more monitoring than Firefox etc because it is less secure. And if you use IE then it's a bonus.

I'm going to do some experimenting with Spybot S&D, Adaware and A-Squared over the next few days on a fresh install to see which finds the most and stops the most.

For me, the real time monitoring looks like a winner. I don't believe the other popular spyware scanners have this - so the automation of the task is appealing.

Stuartli 13:59 11 Jan 05

..and I thought that's exactly what SpywareBlaster did.....

david.h 15:02 11 Jan 05

I have the beta and quiet pleased with it so far, once ms get a good database set up of spyware i will be more thorough.

still using adaware/spybot/a2/spywareblaster & guard till MS catch up with them.

colberly 18:35 11 Jan 05

I think once the beta testing is over Microsoft are going to charge for it's use.

bigBoris 19:28 11 Jan 05

thank everyone for your help, think i might give it a try but also rely on adaware and spybot, not used spywareblaster but will look at it, again thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…