Win ME to XP upgrade

mjojo 13:43 01 Feb 05

Looking at upgrading ME to XP. Would like to reformat the drive rather than 'upgrade' ME. Is there any difference/advantage to getting click here
(OEM) and doing a fresh install (I will be buying a new dvd drive too) or click here
(retail) and reformatting? The OEM version is cheaper and includes SP2, the Win ME upgrade doesn't specify SP2 or not either. Advice appreciated.

Diodorus Siculus 13:48 01 Feb 05

If you get OEM, then it has to stay with the machine; if you get the upgrade you will always have to use both disks... 50/50 really.

My own preference would be to go for the full OEM version.

FelixTCat 16:38 02 Feb 05

You can't buy the OEM version with a DVD drive. You must also buy a motherboard, graphics card, memory module, hard disk, keyboard or mouse. You can buy a mouse on eBuyer for £0.83 (quickfind code 65838) and bin it or an optical mouse for £2.16 (quickfind code 62747). Both are still cheaper than the upgrade version when bought with XP OEM.

If you buy the upgrade version, you must retain the WinME disk in case you ever have to reinstall, as WinXP will ask for it.

With the OEM disk, you can install it wherever you want.

ventanas 16:54 02 Feb 05

Once you have an upgraded XP installation you should not need the previous discs anymore. When the hard drive is reformatted using the upgrade CD it will see an existing installation and proceed without asking for verification. I've done it three times on different machines.

As for OEM you must also purchase (at the same time) a qualifying non-peripheral component which must be installed and in use on the pc in question. So if you buy the upgrade with a mouse (perfectly legal) and that mouse fails (as they all do) then you must also uninstall that copy of XP and buy another. I also feel that a DVD drive would certainly qualify, so why buy something you don't need.

FelixTCat 17:21 02 Feb 05

ventanas

According to ebuyer, a dvd drive does not qualify.

If you buy the upgrade version and want to install it on a new hard disk in the future, you WILL need the ME disk.

Once XP OEM is installed, you can change components without having to reactivate with Microsoft. That would most certainly include the mouse, because XP does not include the mouse in deciding whether a system has changed.

According to Microsoft, the components that count are: Display adapter, SCSI adapter, IDE adapter, Network adapter media access control address, RAM amount range (for example, 0-64MB or 64-128MB), Processor type, Processor serial number, Hard disk device, Hard disk volume serial number and CD-ROM/CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive See click here;en-us;302878

ventanas 21:36 02 Feb 05

On a new hard disc yes, you will need it, but to format and reinstall on the existing disc you will not. Sorry about not being clearer. If Microsoft say a dvd-rom drive qualifies really who cares what ebuyer say. I have also seen it in writing on Microsoft notepaper that a mouse qualifies. The letter also had the equivalent of E&OE on it. So who knows.

Personally I never touch OEM and never will. Too many rules.

acfc 11:56 05 Feb 05

I have just upgraded ME to XP (SP2) using an OEM disk from ebuyer. I made life easy by buying a small hard drive as this allowed me to install XP then import my settings. In addition I have all my pics and MP3s etc still on what is now my secondary drive ~ all for an extra couple of pounds.

Best move I've made as far as upgrades are concerned

Mr Mistoffelees 14:37 05 Feb 05

I don't see why people have a problem with buying OEM. Microsoft are not going to be quizzing you about just exactly what qualifying product you bought with it. If you have bought a legitimate copy from a legitimate source, then there is no problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…