Will these pc specs run rome total war?

damo85 08:41 20 May 06

I wish to buy a new pc and am looking to buy it from dell. i have customised the specs so that i think it will run ROME TOLAL WAR, becuz thats the ONLY game im gona wana b playing on it. these r the specs for the pc i have chosen

Intel® Pentium® D Processor 820 with DualCore Technology (2.80GHz,800MHz fsb,2x1MB cache)
Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition, SP2
512MB Dual Channel DDR2 533MHz (2x256) Memory
80GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive with 8MB DataBurst™ cache
16x DVD-ROM Drive
Dell E196FP 19" Midnight Grey (TCO99) Flat Panel Monitor
256MB ATI Radeon® X600 HyperMemory graphics card
Dell A215 speakers
Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy ADVANCED HD Audio

i would like to know then is this pc powerful enough to play ROME and is the graphics and soundcard powerful enough? oh and i can only pay £600.

Thankyou for any help! DamoX

Forum Editor 09:54 20 May 06

but in an ideal world you should increase the RAM to 1024Mb.

You might think that Rome Total War is the only game you'll want to play, but you don't know for sure what might come in the future, do you?

Totally-braindead 09:55 20 May 06

I would suggest the X600 graphics just wouldn't cut it. It may play the game, but if it did I wouldn't think it would be all that good.

Forum Editor 10:02 20 May 06

I was bearing in mind the budget limitation. I agree that the X600 isn't perfect, but I think it will do the job?

Totally-braindead 10:08 20 May 06

I do realise this FE, I was considering the budget but I am uncertain as to whether it would actually play without jerking or lock ups. The minimum requirements for the graphics are listed below
3D hardware Accelerator Card Required - 100% DirectX® 9.0b compatible 64MB Hardware Accelerated video card and the latest drivers*.
ATI® Radeon 7200
ATI® Radeon 8500
ATI® Radeon 9000
ATI® Radeon 9500
ATI® Radeon 9600
ATI® Radeon 9700
ATI® Radeon 9800
All Nvidia® GeForce 2 and higher
Important Note: *Some 3D accelerator cards with the chipsets listed here may not be compatible with the 3D acceleration features utilized by Rome: Total War™. Please refer to your hardware manufacturer for 100% DirectX 9.0b compatibility.

Of course damo85 if it didn't work or didn't work too well as long as the computer has a PCI Express slot you could always add a graphics card later. You should be able to get something for about £50-60 that would play it no problem.

gudgulf 10:30 20 May 06

It's also worth checking if Rome Total War fully supports dual core processors.......if not you will be running an extremely cpu intensive game effectively on a single 2.8GHz cpu and it is going to struggle.

Cybermaxx 10:31 20 May 06

I would also go for 1GB of RAM, and a better graphics card. That X600 uses 'Hypermemory', which means it'll be leeching system RAM. I really wouldn't buy it. Aren't there any other graphics card options available? With PCIe card prices the way they are, there's no reason to buy anything less powerful than an X800 range card.

mike1967 11:46 20 May 06

According to the specs the pc should run the game with no problems.
Has anyone run this game with similar specs maybe they can post and tell there experiences.
The problem I find on this site is that if you mention a low spec card you will get someone who says it wont work, you must buy this for it to work
I play Battlefield 2 with a 128Mb x300 and believe me it works fine

Cybermaxx 12:14 20 May 06

mike1967 (I suppose that makes me Cybermaxx1969). The X600 will run any gamecurrently available, including Oblivion. That isn't the point. The point is, will it run the game well? Answer in this case, imo, is no.

Rome:Total War likes plenty of RAM. That PC has 512. Windows XP will probably use at least 200MB of that. The X600 will use more of it (Hypermemory). Not much left for R:TW........

mike1967 12:28 20 May 06

No that wasn't meant at you at all Cybermaxx, I havent got Rome:Total War but according to the specs it should run with no problems, shouldn't it, the original question was will it run on this pc.

I've no problems with people saying its not a very good future proof pc etc, but not everyone can afford or is willing to pay £200 for a graphics card.

Cybermaxx 12:58 20 May 06

I wouldn't spend £200 on a graphics card, either. I don't know how much Dell charge for their individual components, but something like this would be a MASSIVE leap up from that X600.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…