Will my 350W PSU take an X1950 Pro 512 card?

ivesy 21:58 29 Dec 07

I am looking to buy this card click here

I currently have a Geforce 6800 PCI express card which is struggling with the RTS games I usually play. I have a dual core Pentium D 930 at 3000Mhz with 2 Gig RAM.

My question is will my current power supply of 350W be enough to handle a more powerful card?

Thank you

Totally-braindead 22:13 29 Dec 07

Did a quick google search and the cards seem to recommend between a 430 and 450 watt supply, if thats right your power supply might be ok if its a really good branded make.

Maybe but I wouldn't bet on it.

I think you would need to buy a new power supply as well.

RobCharles1981 22:14 29 Dec 07

Hi

350watt for that card is a bit weak my suggestion go for this PSU:

click here

Should be more than enough

citadel 22:17 29 Dec 07

if you have a quality psu you may manage otherwise get a 450w or better.

ivesy 22:57 29 Dec 07

Thanks for the speedy replies.

I'm not sure if I have a quality psu (it's a Dell 9150). I'd rather not take the risk with the current PSU. So....

I found this on Maplins site click here
would this be ok to use?

And also if it is are PSU's straightforward to fit?

I've fitted DVD drives, sound cards and video cards!

RobCharles1981 23:04 29 Dec 07

Go with my choice far better I think.

rickf 11:37 30 Dec 07

If you know how to fit DVD drives then it should be say as pie. Very straight anmd follow your common sense. I agree with Rob. Better to get a hogher powered one so that its a bit more future proof.

ivesy 12:08 30 Dec 07

Thanks for the replies. A know very little about what to look for in PSU's (apart from the wattage level). So I'm confused as to what I should looking for.

I was just doing a search for 500-600W PSU's. I've been getting prices ranging from £20 - £80! Ideally as my budget for a graphics card was £100 I don't want to spend too much more money! Though safety comes first so I would shell out more if I had to!

Again any advice on PSU's would be appreciated.

citadel 12:31 30 Dec 07

corsair hx 520 modular from scan.co.uk 60.97 whisper quiet, 5 year warranty, rock solid rails for system stability. plus you only connect the cables you need instead of having a birds nest of wires impeding airfow through the case.

citadel 12:31 30 Dec 07

corsair hx 520 modular from scan.co.uk 60.97 whisper quiet, 5 year warranty, rock solid rails for system stability. plus you only connect the cables you need instead of having a birds nest of wires impeding airfow through the case.

ivesy 16:53 30 Dec 07

I thought I could buy 'any' PSU that was between 500-600W. Would I be right in thinking the one I saw in Maplins will not be good enough?

I'm not sure about some of the terminology like "rock solid rails"

All I want is a one that is compatible with the X1950 Pro.

Sorry for the ignorance!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…