will this laptop be ok for gaming

gary46 13:00 17 Nov 07

will this laptop be ok for playing latest game titles? (call of duty 4,fear etc) or is this wishful thinking
dell inspiron 1720 with upgrades
intel core 2 duo t7250 2ghz 2mb cache 800mhz
nvidea go 8600m gt 256mb ddr2
2048mb 667 ddr2 ram
240 gig h/drive
17" wxga+ tft 1440 x 900

what are the gaming capabilites of this spec?
any comments would be agreat help. many thanks

donki 13:06 17 Nov 07

You will be able to play the games but at a Medium to low level. Laptops are not built for gaming and the games u wanna play are very GFX card demanding. the main part of the system for gaming is your GFX card thats the Nvidia bit, which is below the entry leveling for a gaming card, would you consider a desktop?

Totally-braindead 13:08 17 Nov 07

Call of Duty 4 is very new and it demands a lot. As long as the game supports laptop graphics then it would run fine but you might not get all the graphics up to full, you might have to drop some of the options. I got the demo working perfectly on a 7600GS and its less than what the laptop has, had to run it at 800x600 and lower a lot of the settings but it will still very good.
I would point out that if the laptop has Vista instead of XP you will take a hit on framerates and might have to drop it even lower.

gary46 13:22 24 Nov 07

just read a review of the laptop i am looking at and it says it will run fear at 86 fps.will this be ok for playing the game as i am not sure what the minimum fps is needed for it to run smoothly

Why wont it work 16:10 24 Nov 07

Anything above 30fps for a shoot 'em up or above 25fps for a strategy game is considered 'smooth'. TVs only work at ~25fps (I think) and they appear okay.

I should think that a 8600m GT should cope fine, although I wouldn't expect to be able to put the graphics settings up too high.

gary46 22:21 24 Nov 07

thanks for all the info/advice. i am going to order the laptop tomorrow,lets hope its here for christmas

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017