will freeview set top box improve videos

canard 14:30 28 Nov 03

Freeview looks great. Will it improve video quality? Are all set top boxes equal in video quality, if not what spec to go for? All advice very much appreciated.

johnnyrocker 14:40 28 Nov 03

yes it will and i suggest the panasonic for versatility if you can run to it, it gives excellent results on flat screen tv.

johnny.

johnnyrocker 14:42 28 Nov 03

oops comma in wrong place the panasonic is not dear tis the flat screen i meant about running to cost, also all ghosting etc vanishes

johnny.

SEASHANTY 15:46 28 Nov 03

I think the Panasonic Freeview box has only one scart socket. You really need a Freeview box with two scarts. One connects to the video and other to the TV. It works best with two. The Pioneer has two altho I haven't got that one. I use three Pace Freeview boxes (which only have one scart socket) and a Grundig Freeview box (which has two scarts).
With the Pace boxes I have trouble setting the Widescreen 16:9 as only having ONE scart this has to go via the video (JVC). As no VCR's are widescreen capable this causes problems with the TV widescreen setting. Therefore - go a FREEVIEW BOX which has two scart sockets. You will have less hassle. Must admit that the freeview picture quality on the VCR is excellent.

SEASHANTY 15:53 28 Nov 03

Re-reading that posting does not really make it clear what I mean. The Freeview boxes are capable of outputting in 4:3 format or Widescreen. If you only have one scart on the Freeview box it will have to be plugged into the VCR first with the output going to the TV via the VCR's second scart socket. If you have both the freeview box and the TV set at Widescreen you will have problems because the VCR will not work with the W/S format. Hence the need for two separate scarts on the freeview box you choose. Its usually the cheaper boxes which only have the one scart socket.

roygbiv 16:58 28 Nov 03

to "my postings"

BRYNIT 17:02 28 Nov 03

Remember B4 you buy the Freeview box check that you can receive the digital channels in your area. Also you will need to check if the aerial you have is good enough to receive digital TV and is pointing in the correct direction.

Stuartli 17:30 28 Nov 03

I've got a Pioneer 2010 ITVDigital box - the only one the firm has made to recently and very rare (it followed the original Philips and then the Nokia, a triumph of style over substance, previously housed under the TV).

It's a very classy piece of kit with hi-fi style case, clear readout and excellent pix and sound.

It's proved so good that my son is getting Pioneer's just launched DTR-DT100GB for Christmas (see click here) for details.

It can capture images, has a screen saver to protect your (more elderly) TV from screen burn whilst listening to digital radio stations, two Scart sockets etc.

More details on Pioneer's own website.

Price at Techtronics is £88.65 including delivery, lowest price I could find and also somewhere which has it in stock...

My son says he wants the Goodmans GB5 with built in DAB receiver at £99, but launch keeps being put back and is now at least Fehruary.

There'll be a rush before Christmas for Freeview boxes so get one while you can if you want one.

canard 17:39 28 Nov 03

Thank everyone for their help- impossible to survive without the splendid PCA contributors.

Stuartli 17:49 28 Nov 03

Your (hopefully wideband) aerial should already be pointing in the right direction - signals come from the main transmitters such as, in my case, Winter Hill.

You can configure a Freeview box to whatever you wish - I leave mine on 4:3 and if I need widescreen just push the relevant button on the remote.

Some useful tech advice:

click here

These are the majority of the boxes available at the moment:

click here

Stuartli 17:53 28 Nov 03

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…