Will 'Dial up anytime' eventually be phased out

mec13 01:19 22 Jun 06

I might have heard it wrong, but rumours (at work) has it that due to Broadband overtaking Dial up connections, some ISP's are phasing out 'Dial up anytime' service for just 'Pay as you go'.

I have no option for broadband at all, so 'dial up anytime' is how I access the Internet. Pay as you go, would be too costly.

I have been away from this forum for some time, so forgive me if this subject has already been discussed, but is this true! Someone told me BT are supplying Broadband to 97% of the population, trust me to buy a house among the unfortunate 3%.

Diemmess 09:36 22 Jun 06

Nothing is certain "except death and taxes" but you should still have a choice between ISPs and select the Anytime from whichever outfit still offers you what you want.

I live in the sticks and fortunately enough local people made enough noise to gain a BroadBand facility many months ahead of original BT plans.

No chance of N.Sea gas, but in this case a lot of pressure produced results. Doubtless BT realised there was likely to be a good return on their investment.

spuds 09:45 22 Jun 06

I should image that 'dial up anytime' will remain, if there is sufficient profit margins for the supplier. But then again, the government stated about three years ago, that everyone would have broadband!.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…