WiFi quandry

wee eddie 17:14 PM 18 Dec 12

I have recently had a visit from BT Openreach who have updated the Cables entering the house and installed a new Master Socket. Unfortunately it could not be in the same place as the old one. No problem.

My new download speeds are round about 9.7Mbps on my wireless laptop (They were about 2.8 to 3Mbps).

However my Desktop, using a Dynamode 11n USB Adaptor (a Dongle, I think) only manages between 0.5 and 2.5Mbps, when they sit side by side.

What route do I take.

Buy a more expensive Dongle, in which case which one, or buy a pair of Homeplugs at £41.00

wee eddie 17:15 PM 18 Dec 12

Previously the Desktop was hardwired and got around 2.5Mbps.

Nontek 19:02 PM 18 Dec 12

I would go for the Homeplugs, which I use.

spuds 19:27 PM 18 Dec 12

I second the Homeplug suggestion. Check Ebuyer or 7dayshop for cheaper prices and good reviews.

Would mention that when OpenReach fitted a new masterbox on y property, they hard wired the computer direct with a long extention lead, which didn't give any drop in service.

The masterbox they fitted also did away with filters on all the other sockets, which tends to baffle my ISP as to why no filters are fitted?.

woodchip 20:07 PM 18 Dec 12

Before spending more money, Try downloading and running TCPOptimiser on the PC

wee eddie 21:37 PM 18 Dec 12

I've had a bit of a breakthrough.

I unplugged everything and then re-booted. Only get to 4.8Mbps to the Lappy's 9.8Mbps but a big improvement.

Will now try TCP Optimiser.

wee eddie 22:11 PM 18 Dec 12

Disaster: Wanted me to Log-in as administrator, which I was. ThenI could no longer get back on line.

System Restore sorted that, so we're still looking but at least with an improved speed.

nickf 11:24 AM 19 Dec 12

why not just use a LAN connection ?

wee eddie 13:03 PM 19 Dec 12

nickf: 20 meters as the crow flies, around skirting, through wall, over door, around skirting or under floor (lift carpet) and then connect at the far end. 35 meter Cat 5 cable would do the trick. Not really a runner, but thanks.

wiz-king 13:08 PM 19 Dec 12

I am not surprised your dongle is struggling. Homeplugs seem to be the best option.

nickf 13:35 PM 19 Dec 12

Ah , not practical then , I agree with wiz-king then , home plugs it is

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

HDR video: Everything you need to know

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know