wi fi help please

foggy1187 21:38 23 Jan 05

i have just bought a new amd 64 512ram wi fi enabled notebook and want to connect it the desktop computer so that i can share the broadband connection and i have no idea what i need or how to do it, can anyone point me in the direction of where i can find out. many thanks

TBH1 22:00 23 Jan 05

helproom forum for a start mate - -

TomJerry 23:26 23 Jan 05

this question has been asked and answered many many times, but what the hack

if you use Cable broadband: Linksys Etherfast Wireless Access Point + Cable/DSL Router With 4Port Switch £34.84 click here, connect cable modem to this router and connect fixed PC to this router, laptop connection wirelessly

if you use adsl broandabd, (1) throw away usb adsl modem (2) get a wireless router with adsl modem build-in, e.g. BT Voyager 2100 Wireless ADSL modem Router £59.99 click here (3) connect this modem router to phone line via microfilter, connect fixed Pc to this router, if your fixed PC does not have a ethernet port, you need to install a ethernet (network) PCI card cost about £3

Forum Editor 23:29 23 Jan 05

a wireless router (preferably with built in modem) and a wireless network card for the PC. Then you'll be able to use the broadband connection on the laptop without the need to have the PC running as well.

Go to
click here and check out the wireless networking section. Look at the Netgear routers and PCI wireless network cards (for the PC).

TomJerry 23:31 23 Jan 05

(1) get a wireless usb adaptor

(2) install software come with the adaptor in fixed PC

(3) plug adaptor to fixed PC

(4) run network setup wizard on both PC to establish a home network

(5) enable "internet connection sharing" on fixed PC, you can find how by search "ICS" in windows build help

11b version (slow between PCs but more than enough for internet sharing) Ebuyer 11Mbps Wireless (WI-FI) USB LAN Adapter (802.11b) £9.99 click here

11g version Ebuyer 54Mbps Wireless (WI-FI) USB 2.0 LAN Adapter (802.11G) £19.38 click here

this method is cheaper, but the security is not as good as router solution

This thread is of interest to me also.

I have a Belkin wireless router connected to a cable modem. The desktop PC's connect to the router via Belkin wirelss USB adaptors. The setup with Belkin is very easy (it must be if I can get it to work) as all that is required is the instllation of the network adaptors on each PC. These automatically connect to the router without any additional imput.

However, what I have not been able to do is to get my notebook, which is fitted with a Centrino processor, to connect to the router. I was hoping that it wold be detected automatically but that's not the case.

Perhaps I should start a new thread but I thought that the information on Belkin may help TomJerry.

Sorry, just realised that it was foggy1187 who posted the quetion.

My apologies.

Sorry, just realised that it was foggy1187 who posted the quetion.

My apologies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…