Why I would not buy from Dell again

DellHell 14:11 24 May 06

My Dell Inspiron 6000 has been absolute rubbish. I've had it for 5 months and spent loads on phone bills to offshore technical support. New hard drive, motherboard, operating system went boom overnight for no reason. Now the screen has gone wobbly and the computer turns itself off randomly or sometimes just the screen goes blank but the power stays on. The computer was faulty from about the start but an error code told me the problem would be solved by retries so I persevered a month or so. The hard drive slowed down and the error codes on starting the computer up became more regular. I used to be given a lot of the IT work at my old company so can use computers well. I asked for my money back from Dell as the laptop is a joke and technical support staff have a tendency to hang up on you when they don't understand, or sometimes before you even speak to them!!! (this was not part of the warranty service I paid for and they seem to hold so dear and want to use against me to deny my statutory rights saying I only have a 7 day period in which I can claim a refund). They only work till 7 or 8 in the evening and not on weekends so if you are a home user thoughtless enough to have a job this is a real nightmare (considering you need to hold for up to two hours to get through, sometimes just to be told they'll call you back which will probably be when you told them you are at work). If you ever buy a Dell bear in mind you do need to pay for the best service package available which may well undermine the price advantage you think you get. I have a law degree and have a fair idea of my consumer rights but Dell try to tell you that you only have the rights given to you under the warranty where if you ask Citizens Advice they will tell you the fuller picture - any warranty you buy as a consumer is in addition to your statutory rights - not instead of. With online purchases of electronic goods I am told you you get extra protection anyway. Even when I spoke to the head of the Dell legal department they seem clueless about UK law and only give inflexible seeimngly trained responses after misunderstanding what you are trying to tell them. Can we have qualified UK people with native English language skills dealing with UK law and complaints please Dell? I am sure you can afford it and a better approach to consumers would probably pay off long term. Citizens's Advice said I was entitled to a refund + compensation as the computer is subject to a 6 month period in which it should be shown to be fit for purpose and the number of problems shows it definitley is not - I have to give a reasonable chance for them to rectify but several repairs have been carried out so this suggests so. The onus would be on Dell to show the computer was fine when it was sent out, but they claim the only way they can do this will be to send it for a repair - I obviously would prefer my money back because I can't rely on any repair and what if the machine goes wrong again in 6 months? Only after another failed repair they say they will replace the laptop and not refund. They will probably be even more dismissive of their liability then. Unfortunately I don't have the time or money to wait to go to a small claims court as I am setting up a business and need the workstation and the time to spend on other matters, so Dell are reluctantly getting another chance to repair my laptop even though I offered to accept a simple refund despite being entitled to compensation as well. Best advice I can give is go to PC World where you can actually speak to someone face to face or go online for good deals, with no language barriers and the prices are still good. I have a business account manager which is great and I know a few of them down there now - I don't have to spend a week trying to get through to someone. They also seem to deliver much quicker than Dell. I got a Packard Bell desktop and it has been great so far - not one problem.

€dstowe 14:59 24 May 06

Blimey, that was hard going.

I am unable to read it all as, by about the tenth line, all lines become confused and jumbled into each other. OK this may be my eyesight but, I'm sure I'm not alone.

From what I've read, you do seem to have a problem but I really can't read any more of in its current layout.

Perhaps you could split it into paragraphs or shorter sections to allow easier reading.

I'm not trying to be awkward but I'm sure you will get a better and more sympathetic response if you do as I suggest.

ghm101 15:14 24 May 06

Agree with Cdstowe, but it does look like they have given you cause to VENT ... bigtime

pj123 15:16 24 May 06

I also agree with €dstowe. I don't have the strength, eyesight or patience to read all that so I'll pass as well.

keewaa 15:16 24 May 06

I read somewhere that about 1 in 10 computers have hardware problems requiring them to be fixed under warranty. I think you are one of the 1 in 10 and one of the more severe cases.

When purchasing a Dell computer you do need to take out the warranty that you want should anything go wrong. So if you buy a 'collect and return' warranty, that is what you will have to work with should things go wrong. I think there is a statutory right to 6 months although you might have to pay for delivery.

As far as your phone bills, I would acquaint yourself with dub dub dub say no to 0870 dot com ( click here )

I think I'd have your view if I had those sort of problems, but so far I've had the opposite from Dell ... very good VFM and no need to call them on the phone.

rmcqua 15:27 24 May 06

Given the effort taken to establish the stupid, attention-grabbing Username for this post, together with the various, presumably intentionally emotive statements, e.g:

"the laptop is a joke and technical support staff have a tendency to hang up on you when they don't understand, or sometimes before you even speak to them
"I used to be given a lot of the IT work at my old company so can use computers well".
"so if you are a home user thoughtless enough to have a job..."
"Can we have qualified UK people with native English language skills dealing with UK law and complaints please Dell"
"Unfortunately I don't have the time or money to wait to go to a small claims court as I am setting up a business"

...I began to think that the poster had an attitude problem.
But then I noted another less than humble statement:
"I have a law degree and have a fair idea of my consumer rights..."

'Nuff said.

spuds 15:36 24 May 06

Perhaps consulting Consumer Direct click here will bring further assistance in resolving this issue on consumer law and the faulty laptop!.

DellHell 15:49 24 May 06

rmcqua - think you may have a problem, being as you are not even involved in the dispute and have taken such a time to pick out quotes. My name was just a way of staying anonymous and took 2 seconds to think of by my partner (guess you probably don't have one of those?).

If more people were prepared to stand up for their consumer rights perhaps Dell would be now offering a more reliable and helpful service. I really feel they rely a lot on people not knowing their rights.

I realise my post was long and cramped but wasn't writing an essay for school so didn't mind. I actually got the English prize at school but guess that will annoy rmcqa too?

Apologies it may not be followable to all, but to explain everything fully would take more words and it's been quite a long saga. I was hoping some would just get the gist, others may pick up on the odd thing that would help them e.g. the advice I got from the CAB. I certainly wasn't looking for sympathy. In fact my comments were fully justified and if you notice I praise PC World so you can't say I am not giving a balanced view or being unreasonable.

Thanks for all those who have seen I do have a certain right to be frustrated and can appreciate that a "consumerwatch" forum may be for raising consumer issues for the benefit of others - not an ego contest. From speaking to others just locally to me I am certainly not the first to have problems with Dell. I am just the little guy trying to make my voice heard and stand up against bad service.

Thanks to Spuds also for the link. I will check that out.

DellHell 16:13 24 May 06

Just another thing rmcwua. You have made me embarrassed about my username. I could really do with changing it to something unpronouncable like "rmcqua" - got any ideas? how about ghrewq, or xxrtga?

I've got it...

ruagay?

ade.h 16:13 24 May 06

Normally, I tend to agree with your take on things, but in this instance, I think that you have read too much into what this poster has said.

He/she is really just stating relevant facts; he/she has works (or has worked) in law, so presumably is better equipped than most to seek expert advice, with the prior grounding in law being helpful.

He/she has simply sought to qualify their PC competency with a background example.

Dell DOES need to employ people with (A) an excellent knowledge of computers, which is not hard to come by these days, (B) English as their first language and (C) training in the fundamentals of consumer law.

This is not the first time that I have read or heard reports of Dell support staff hanging up on callers, either.

ade.h 16:17 24 May 06

The comments that you have directed at rmcqua while I was typing the above post somewhat undermine your position to say the least.

It is NOT acceptable to make personal attacks on forum members. I suggest that you perhaps swallow your pride and reconsider those comments.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…