Why is everything so complicated?

gardener 16:38 13 Oct 07

I recently took up Virgin's offer of a broadband and phone package for around £20. I already had a broadband account with them and the offer seemed too good to turn down.

Anyway, I applied, only to be told that I had to return to BT to get the package up and running ( I have an account with Pipex for my phone) and this would cost £70 and also would I would have to stay with them (BT) for 18 months.So obviously I couldn't have the Virgin package.

I contacted Virgin to cancel the impossible broadband and phone package and was told that I now have to re-apply for the broadband-only package that I already have.

With all the technology available, how can a simple change like this be so complicated?

tullie 17:00 13 Oct 07

Dont understand why BT are involved.Broadband is with Virgin,so all you had to do was add phone,you dont have to contact BT to do this?

gardener 17:06 13 Oct 07

I was told by Virgin that I had to transfer from Pipex (my phone line provider) back to BT in order for Virgin to set up my package. They (Virgin) said they could not proceed without me doing this.I have questioned this twice and the reply was the same.

tullie 17:25 13 Oct 07

Dont undestand this,surely BT are your phone line provider,calls are managed by pipex,maybe someone else has the answer.I changed to Skytalk some time ago,dident have to talk to BT,Sky did that

gardener 17:34 13 Oct 07

I don't understand it either. I assumed it would be a simple transfer process. This is an extract from the email they sent me (Yes,they finally replied,see my other thread).

'I would like to inform you that your CPS order has been cancelled. The reason being is that your line is showing that another phone service provider is already on the line.

If this is the case you will need to return to a standard BT line before we can provide a Talk Service. You need to speak to BT, using the phone number below, and ask them if there is an IRP (Incompatible Rented Product) on your account that is preventing a 'CPS' service being activated. For Talk to work on your phone line, BT need to update your account – please contact them on 0800 800 150 and tell them that you need a “Carrier Pre-Select” service’ to be set up on your phone line – they should then make any changes needed for the service to work.'

lotvic 15:51 14 Oct 07

these explain it click here

gardener 15:55 14 Oct 07

lotvic, thanks for the link.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…