Why do we pay so much more for software

Forum Editor 19:53 14 Mar 05

than our American opposite numbers?

Elsewhere in ConsumerWatch there's a thread
click here about the enormous difference between the cost of downloading software here, in the UK, compared to the price of the same software from the same company's American download site. I checked the price of one program and we're being asked to pay more than double the American price.

I find it hard, if not impossible to come to any conclusion other than that the company concerned is seizing an opportunity to rake in some extra profit from us, simply because it can. I may be wrong, and if I am I will issue a public and abject apology to Corel (the company concerned), and I'm going to contact them to invite them to justify their marketing policy.

I would be very interested to learn of any other, similar cases of big price differentials for software downloads. Post here if you know of any.

It's Me 20:14 14 Mar 05

More power to your elbow, and the best of luck.

I find that 'large' business doing business in the UK simply cut costs to the absolute minimum and charge us through the nose for their products, so maximising their profits to the extreem, with no thought of any customer satisfaction; the attitude being, what will the punter be daft enough to pay! (And I so dislike the word 'punter').

I fear that there will be many here who will say, 'good luck to them'.

€dstowe 21:46 14 Mar 05

Adobe Acrobat standard 7 $279 on Adobe US website

Adobe Acrobat Standard 7 £287.87 inc VAT on Adobe UK website (£245 ex VAT).

Similarly:

Adobe Photoshop CS $649

Adobe Photoshop CS £605.12 (£515 ex VAT).

Adobe Video Collection Pro $1499

Adobe Video Collection Pro £1568.62 (£1335 ex VAT)

Not as large a scale but equally annoying...

Napster US: $9.95 / month

Napster UK: £9.95 / month

The US version has more songs available than the UK version too (same with ITunes).

BillEmm 00:04 15 Mar 05

If a product is priced in USD I always select that currency. My Credit Card company is quite happy for me to deal in any major currency.

Sometimes the vendor site automatically detects the country of origin and defaults to the currency of that country. Usually this can be overridden and USD selected.

The vendors that annoy me are the ones who quote in USD and Euros and use the same numeric value for the goods - irrespective of the currency.

Lavasoft, a German company, offers a particular Silverfast upgrade at 99.95 USD for North America or 99.95 Euros for all else.

I contacted them to say I would be happy to purchase the upgrade if they would accept payment in US Dollars. They refused. UK is outside the Dollar region and therefore not acceptable.

I addressed a query to their Marketing department, asking why the price for Europeans was 15 percent higher (it was at the time in question) than for Americans.

The reply from a lady said she did not know but it may be something to do with the exchange rate!

It may be cynicism but I believe that many of these companies find it easier to apply the same numerical values. This, of course, is not true of the major software (and hardware) providers.

I once worked for an American company and they always applied a hefty uplift in pricing. The cost in converting LSD Retail to US shareholder dividend value was, apparently, quite high.

Bill

spuds 00:08 15 Mar 05

Possibly a little off tangent here, but I sometimes find it hard to believe some price differences in places like PC World or other large retailers and suppliers. I have mentioned this previously within the forum, only to be accused that we are not being 'overcharged'.This thread will no doubt perhaps prove different. Bargains are to be add out there, but at what cost and to whom, and are they always make easily accessible.

Last year I purchased a good selection of various software offers, all at highly reduced prices. Some well known brands like Ulead, Media Gold,Ejay,Adaptec etc where originally priced at £49.99/£39.99/£29.99, then reduced to my eventual purchase price of £9.99/£2.99/£1.99. And these vast price reductions where on items from last years 'must haves', from High street sources, and not suspect suppliers. I have always told people to check the price labels on shelf stocks, as the prices can and sometimes do vary. My local PCW is a favourite of mine for this type of selective trading, and on a number of occasions, I have found a hidden gem left over from one pricing scheme,promotion or other. I have stated many times, at the end of the day it is your money, so spend wisely, and if there is a pricing bargain out there, grab it.

muscic lover 09:14 15 Mar 05

WELCOME TO RIP OFF BRITAIN!!

You pay your money and you take your choice...

If you can find it cheaper elsewhere, ask the company direct and say you wont buy at the higher price... Hit them back (?) in their corporate pockets and buy another vendors products... this could force the price down.

jack 09:40 15 Mar 05

Rip off Britain- you are right
I feel it may be something to do with our currency value- I belive the UK£ is the highest 'value '
currency unit around. and Most countries read
$and£ as equal value when we know they are not.
So we get this 'doubling' effect.

Last month in Beunos Aries for example the airport has a neat trick of putting luggage trollys wheel in a track. You have to pay an attendant a fee to releaseit.
The price? $1 or£1 which ever you happen to have.

Sapins 09:57 15 Mar 05

Now, if every one of the 162,685 forum members (latest figure) contacted Coral, or any other firm, they *might* just take notice but I wouldn't hold your breath. Anyway We British would never, ever, respond in such a mass way would we?

ventanas 10:19 15 Mar 05

These prices click here are for XP and Office in dollars. I don't know if they are a fair representation of US prices, but they are certainly cheaper than the UK.

g0slp 10:43 15 Mar 05

Because suppliers can get away with it.

Rip off Britain; how true :-((

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017