Why do people bid so high on Ebay?

Colin 20:04 03 Sep 04

I have been trying to buy a Radeon 9800 PRO through Ebay. As you can get a brand new one for £135 including VAT from a retailer, I assume that £100 is more than reasonable for a second hand one, even if it's "just been taken out of a brand new PC"! Some winning bids are actually higher than a brand new card or just a few pounds less. Do people get carried away or am I being cynical in thinking that there are bidders out there, bidding on behalf of the seller to up the bids?

SEASHANTY 20:27 03 Sep 04

Probably more money than sense. It's not only on Ebay either. I get the Panasonic consumer emails on new equipment and lately they decided to auction off new equipment by starting a legal auction. They have a new DVD recorder the DMR-E95 out in November. It will be priced around £610. Some people had actually bid £700. The old adage "one born every minute" springs to mind.

ton 20:31 03 Sep 04

I've often thought the same thing. You could be right about people bidding for their own goods etc. (under another name perhaps).

I can't understand why anyone bids at all before the last few minutes, all it does is force up the price.

I think some people do just get carried away with the bidding and don't look into the prices elsewhere beforehand.

Totally-braindead 22:05 03 Sep 04

I think its 2 things, people getting carried away and not knowing the price of what they buy. An example of this is a guy on Ebay selling JR Propo sunglasses (you don't need to know what they are) hes getting between £19 and £25 for them. The new price is £14.50. I can only assume the buyers think the glasses are much more expensive than they are and subsequently bid on them.

Colin 22:10 03 Sep 04

Thanks for the responses.

Mango Grummit 01:48 04 Sep 04

I think you have not attended an auction in the flesh Colin.

It's called "Auction Fever".

I've had it myself!

SEASHANTY 10:21 04 Sep 04

There is the true story of the person who had the foresight to buy up the entire stock of the local POUNDLAND shop of media appliances programmable remote controls @ £1 each and sold the lot on Ebay at £9-99 plus postage. Now that is enterprise!

I believe this was promulgated on this forum a few months ago. Sorry, but I have forgotten who posted this item.

Arthur Scrimshaw 10:32 04 Sep 04

At the risk of offending a lot of people, I have come to the conclusion that 90% of ebayers (maybe higher)are just plain stupid - or as Seahanty puts it more politely 'more money than sense'.
I don't think a lot of them have any idea of the market value of the items they are bidding on, which is strange as they are already on the web and that is the best place to find out the 'price spread' on anything.

Magik ®© 10:51 04 Sep 04

just to add a bit,and , no, i have never got anything from them. on QVC the other night, they had a JVC digital camera priced at £430, plus about £6 p&p. and they were giving you all the standard rubbish, half the stock has now gone, these are flying..plus the stooge comes out with what they always say "i have got one of these"

anyway..i took down the model number and checked what they cost on line....everyone was selling them for £234, and one place the p&p was free.

spuds 13:28 04 Sep 04

Having had many dealings at auctions, ebay is no different when it comes to the must buy frenzy stage.Do your research, check the original price,set your limit, then all should be fine.

Tapping onto SEASHANTY's post. The three local Aldi stores in my area were recently selling digital engineer type calipers for £9.99. All stocks were cleared from the store in rapid time. Considering that these same type products can fetch upto £49.99 each, I wondered who bought a job lot, and if they ended up on ebay or the like. Nice little earner for someone :o)

As a seller I'm all for it!

I read about the £1 Remote Controls mentioned by SEASHANTY a few weeks ago.

Thought I'd give it a go using Lidl, so I bought a couple of items for £2.99 each and sold them for £9.00 & £5.50.

I'll be keeping my eyes open for future bargains! :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…