Why do DSG have such strange policies?

GRIDD 22:18 27 Jul 08

Currys and PCWorld are the same company both sell electricals but:

A. They won't price match each other.

B. PCworld will price match practically anyone in the UK and Currys won't.

Hmmm. Today I was in search of a camera and memory cards. PCWorld out of stock on the camera, so I got the memory cards. PCWorld price of £29.99 each, I got them matched and beaten against play. I got them for £7.99 each....

Currys however had the camera instock and when I asked for a price match his response was less than polite, he said Currys don't do it. PCworld do I exclaimed and he responded yeah, we're a different company. I quickly departed before I was tempted to correct him...

So why don't they? How can PCWorld manage it and they can't?

oresome 23:05 27 Jul 08

From the Currys web site.

who do we price promise against?
Price promise applies to the lowest price offered by these retailers, whether that’s online or in-store
Argos Comet PCWorld Woolworths
B&Q Jessops Tesco John Lewis
Asda

spuds 23:25 27 Jul 08

Sounds like a fed-up assistant's Sunday response. But having said that, our local Currys who are nearly next door to PC World, won't price match PCW.

Forum Editor 23:56 27 Jul 08

are the same company".

They're actually different companies belonging to the same group of companies. Both are self-accounting, and both have their own marketing policies, so your sales assistant was correct in that respect.

He wasn't correct in saying that Currys don't price match however, because they do, and PC World is one of the companies they will match against.

GRIDD 01:10 28 Jul 08

I can get the camera for £179 from Jessops, when it's £199 in Currys. I'd rather give them (Jessops) the extra £20 than give Currys it.... Camera can be had from Amazon for £159+postage but I blocked my maestro card and have to pay cash.

oresome 09:18 28 Jul 08

Have you got the prices the wrong way round?

In any event, I would think Jessops will match a high street store like Currys and give better service from knowledgeable staff.

GRIDD 09:43 28 Jul 08

No I haven't.... and I agree with your last statement. Seems to me Currys would rather have a sale go to their competitors.

Jessops using a 10% off code = £179 (usually £199) can collect at store.
Amazon = £159
PCWorld, no stock, but £199 = £155 against Amazon if they had it in.
Currys = £199, refused to price match even though their policy says different.
Comet are doing it for £162 but they aren't in Northern Ireland.

GRIDD 09:44 28 Jul 08

and to add another point I had the above printed out from the web when I went in store and they (Currys) still said no. That was the Newtownabbey branch.

manojiitan12 09:47 28 Jul 08

The DSG computing sales up, profits down.Inadequate parts: Great, you can assemble your own PC with the shop's spares & custom build section... only if you can consolidate the fact that the only CPU's on sale are AMD and the only motherboard on sale are for Intel.I used PC City as an emergency one stop supplier (like I get a repair call at 5 PM and I need parts by 8 AM the next morning for small stuff (new hard disk or RAM or mobo that I do not have in stock), I'd buy from them on the way home as they had the stock and choice.

mack

<a href="click here">Epson T060</a>

day2strike 10:33 28 Jul 08

DSG used have the highest APR of 46% on their Store Credit Card!

spuds 11:05 28 Jul 08

It possibly appears that you are using a DSG company statement regarding 'Currys will price match PC World'. Our local Currys 'will not' price match our local PC World, now whether this is a local management decision, I wouldn't really know,because its to much hassle to find out. When there is a refusal, its a simple case of walking a few yards next door. Or walking across the precinct block to the Comet store nearby (A store I do not now use, due to a price matching problem and misunderstanding!).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy Book review: Hands-on with Samsung’s high-end hybrid

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is probably one of the best bank ads we’ve seen

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple