Why Acer Centrino Laptops are cheaper to others???

guywantstoknow 15:37 11 Jan 04

Hi,

I introduce myself as Sundar, working in Saudi Arabia.
I’m planning to buy a laptop in a couple of weeks. I looked at most of the models from different companies and I have planned to buy a Intel Centrino laptop. It would be helpful to me if you could support and assist me in buying a best laptop.

My main work with my laptop will be Programming in Java, Oracle. But occasionally I will be watching movies and playing games.

I have little nagging doubt about Acer 290 Series. Below I have given the configuration for Acer and Toshiba laptop.

1) Acer 290 LCI : Intel Centrino 1.4 GHZ, 256 MB Ram, 30GB HDD, DVD/CD RW and Intel 855GM Chipset with 64MB Shared VRAM. This is priced at USD.1280

2) Toshiba M30-S309: Intel Centrino 1.4 GHZ, 256 MB Ram, 40GB HDD, DVD/CD RW and Intel 855GM Chipset, 32MB VGA VRAM. This is priced at USD.1866

Here goes my doubt:

Here in Saudi Arabia the resellers are not knowledgeable about the in and out of the laptops. They just sell it.

Look at the price difference between Acer 290 (US$ 1280) and Toshiba M30-S309 (US$ 1866) which is around US$ 585. Why is there such a huge price difference between Toshiba and Acer 290 which have almost same configuration except Toshiba M30 has extra 10GB HDD. Is US$ 585 priced for the 10 GB????

I just took Toshiba as an example. I have found from many Companies where the prices are in the same category like Toshiba with Centrino Techonology and Acer is the only company which sells at lowest price.

My only doubt is how come Acer able to provide the latest processor with less price? Does that mean that the products are not up to the mark? Ie. Are the products manufactured by low profile company to make such a cost price difference?

Could you please clarify my doubt and suggest me the BEST LAPTOP FOR my use…..

I don’t mind paying extra bit of bucks for my laptop but I wanted a best one for my bucks.

Regards,

Sundar

DieSse 15:58 11 Jan 04

Acer are an excellent, very large, top grade, manufacturer. They make laptops for other comapnies as well as under their own name.

You should be able to buy one with complete confidence.

Stuartli 16:12 11 Jan 04

I'll second DieSse's comments - Acer makes a vast number of excellent laptops and you will quickly be able to spot those other manufacturers who have rebranded them under their own name.

andrew-216448 17:25 11 Jan 04

the reason why the toshiba cost more than the acer is that the toshiba uses a 15.4 widescreen display, has 10 gig more of HD and has a separate nvidia fxgo 5200 as a vga. this would make it more suitable for moderate gaming as compared to the acer which uses an onboard graphics.

guywantstoknow 17:42 11 Jan 04

So you guys suggest me that i can confidently buy Acer 290 Laptop. As i said my main work with laptop will be programming, watching DVD movies and occasionally playing games. Games i mean to say are not high end ones but normal 2d games. So Acer 290 must be doing good for the price i pay right guys?

Regards,
Sundar

guywantstoknow 05:55 12 Jan 04

Hi DieSse, Stuartli and pamintacake,
Thanks for your suggestions regarding Acer. Let me go for Acer and join the Acer family then.

Regars,
Sundar

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…