Who should replace my faulty TFT?

BigMoFoT 20:28 26 Nov 04

I received on Tuesday of this week my brand spanking new 17" LG TFT from ebuyer who even upgraded my delivery free of charge with the delivery service being excellent - arrived early and in good packaging. However I noticed about 2 hours later a faulty pixel flashing blue about an inch from the bottom right corner and about half an inch up. It seemed to get better but now has gone completely dead and I am left with a dead white pixel but it actually looks like it could be a few dead ones...
I contacted ebuyer who said I could request a return online but may be refused as the monitor comes with a 3 yr onsite warranty provided by LG?

I have the TFT less than 7 days so who should replace it?? I have tried to contact LG to query this but have been unable to get through...

spuds 21:09 26 Nov 04

The product will come under the Consumer Protection [Distance Selling] Regulation 2000. You can send it back.But the return cost would be your responsibility unless you can prove that it is faulty under the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 [amended].

I think LG have a policy that 1 pixel dead in centre of screen.2 pixels 20mm apart. 4 or more overall in screen area, will warrant a replacement. But be a little wary, as LG may send you a same model refurbished monitor as the replacement, as per their terms and conditions.

Different manufacturers have different dead pixel tolerances, some are more generous than others. But TFT's a improving all the time with better manufacturing processes.

Rebound 22:13 26 Nov 04

I have had a similar problem in that a TFT bought from PCWorld 6 months ago has just this week developed a big screen fault. I switched it on and the top LH area about the size of an apple just went multi-coloured - this was without the pc even being switched on. PCW helpline said I must arrange with Philips in this case for a swap out. Is this normal now?? I was informed by a friend that as of an EU directive in 2002 ALL goods are now covered by a 2-year minimum no quibble gaurantee, with years 3-6 also being the responsibility of the manufacturer. Is this correct?

bfoc 00:42 27 Nov 04

Your contract is with the retailer not the manufacturer.

You may choose to deal with the manufacturer if it is easier/better for you, but it is the manufacturer who has the legal obligation to you and who bears responsibility for faulty/defective goods. They cannot 'offload' that responsibility.

When I had a faulty TFT monitor the retailer asked me to contact the manufacturer who operated a next day 'swap out' service which was faster and easier than the retailer's own returns system. I accepted that but made clear, and the retailer accepted, that this in no way removed their liability. I also made clear that I wanted a new replacement TFT as the fault was there on delivery.

woody147 02:55 27 Nov 04

If it's at all possible, I'd get the manufacturer to replace your TFT. Mine developed a fault a few weeks back, iiyama had it replaced with a new model within 3 days - however, I'd also reported the fault with EBuyer just in case, it took them another 12 days just to reply to my enote - fairly poor, to say the least. wish I had as much confidence with their returns procedure as I do with amazon.

spuds 12:31 27 Nov 04

Some good pixel information click here [thanks to bremner for the link].

spuds 12:37 27 Nov 04

Typo error,correct link click here

Forum Editor 15:15 27 Nov 04

1 dead pixel in the corner of the screen will not be classed as a fault, and so you can't expect to have the screen replaced as faulty by the retailer under the sale of goods act. You may return it without reason under the terms of the Distance selling regulations of course, but to take advantage of that legislation you must notify the retailer (in writing) within 7 days of receiving the goods. In that situation the retailer is not required to replace the item however - the regulations simply require that your money is refunded within thirty days.

This problem with dead or rogue pixels has been a contentious issue for a long time, and it's true to say that many manufacturers are helpful whenever they can be. That's why many retailers will refer you to the manufacturer - it can be a faster way of resolving a problem.

Have you tried switching on the dead pixel? You can very often do this by massaging the area gently with a moist cottonwool bud. Use a circular motion, and don't be too heavy handed. It works more often than you might think, and if you can switch the pixel on it will almost certainly stay that way. I've done this on quite a few occasions, and although there's no guarantee of success it's well worth having a go.

BigMoFoT 19:09 27 Nov 04

Thanks for the response guys.

After what the FE mentioned about the 1 dead pixel being within limits, thankfully (How ironic is this..) I know have 2 dead pixels very very close together so I should hopefully not have too much of an issue getting my issue resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…