Whish Photoediting software?

SDJ 17:32 29 Jan 03

Ok its down to Adobe Photoshop Elements or PhotoImpact 8.

Any suggestions?

Diemmess 17:56 29 Jan 03

Only hearsay from very SERIOUS minded friends
Adobe Photoshop elements seems adequate for most, though the proudest photographers will not admit that Elements has most of the facilities that they are ever likely to need, and insist on the full and very expensive Adobe Photoshop.

There's no magic - you will do the best work with whatever you find you like (and can)use.

PhilMeIn 18:11 29 Jan 03

I use Adobe Photoshop Elements and also Jasc Paint shop Pro 7 Anniversary Edition and between them they both give me everything i could need and alot more .

crocodile36 18:29 29 Jan 03

Elements has some (for me) important omissions. It has no "Curves" function, no colour channel separation, no multiple history palette. I can get Curves from an old copy of Photoshop 5LE, but I wish that I could afford the full-blown program.

€dstow 18:48 29 Jan 03

Photoshop Elements does lack some of the finer points of the full blown version but for most it doesn't make a lot of difference. I'm pretty certain that you won't miss the lacking parts.

If you want a full range of facilities at a low price, PaintShop Pro.

Some people prefer PSP, some PhotoShop. I'm afraid I regard PhotoImpact as a bit of a toy. That's not to say it isn't any good, just that it is made to be popular rather than professional.

€d

Altair 21:28 29 Jan 03

Jaques Paint Shop Pro Aniversary edition, you can't beat it.

oresome 21:53 29 Jan 03

Elements is often available on 30 day trial with computers and photography magazines, so you can try before you buy. I think it's also bundled with some hardware, so if you've not got a scanner yet, may be worth looking down that route.
If your a serious user, Elements will provide an introduction to Photoshop which is the industry standard.
One down side is that there was no upgrade path to the latest edition. It had to be fully re-purchased.

Pesala 22:00 29 Jan 03

You seem to have settled on one of two high-end packages. Do you really need or want to pay that much?

Personally, I do most of my work in Irfan View, and occasionally resort to Corel Photopaint. I also liked Ulead's Photo Impact 5.0 when I tried it, but I uninstalled it as I don't need much sophistication.

If you want a good photo package at a budget price, Serif products always seem to provide excellent value for money.

click here

Pesala 22:05 29 Jan 03

Should have read more carefully. Photoshop elements is not high-end. About the same price as Serif Photoplus and Photo Impact.

SDJ 22:19 29 Jan 03

Interesting, I always thought that PhotoImpact was quite well regarded.
I had the 30 day trial but got carried away with other things and now cant (and havent) used it.

So the jury says Photoshop Elements. obviously I would love to be in a position to buy the full Photoshop program but hey if I could afford that there would be other things I would get first.

Any other points before I "Resolve"?

SDJ 22:20 29 Jan 03

Interesting to see Photoimpact at a sale price on their own website (also found out about this from a digicam magazine) and not reduced anywhere else.

Is it worth buying for £38.78 or is PS Elements still better?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…