Which Webcam

mbp 13:53 25 Feb 04

My family have been encouraging me to get a webcam so I tried to find the best model, i.e. easy to use, trouble free, and reasonable price for this function. There are almost no proper assessments of the pros and cons of the various webcams available. Why? I think that anything under £60 would be acceptable if it had good properties.

The most popular is Logitech but no "must have" users. One or two very negative comments. Price ranges OK.

Philips ToUcam range, a bit pricey for better specifications, but nothing conclusive about product.

Trust USB2 Webcam, no reviews found.

Creative Labs NX Pro seemed to have interesting specs. Original price £49.99 then down to £39.94 then today £28.49.

Would love to hear from users of webcams their opinions of the products they are using.

anchor 14:00 25 Feb 04

The Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 is without doubt the "Rolls Royce" of webcams. The reviews put it above the rest. Details here:

click here

£61 at Dabs

click here

mbp 14:48 26 Feb 04

Logitech QuickCam Pro4000 is priced at almost twice the price of competitors, even at the lower price available from Amazon of £61. The special features appear to be Face Tracking and the Digital Zoom (Not Optical Zoom). I am not so sure if these features are that essential or warrant the hefty price differential. Picture resolution, and sound quality are comparable with competition. The picture windows are thumb nail size, I presume? I wonder what the next generation of Web cams will be able to offer. I suspect that there could be great improvements in the Optics and a larger Picture view on the screen, maybe even 1/2 or full page if all the communication is vocal.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…