Which way to go for new gaming PC?

prodway 08:41 08 Dec 07

Hi

After christmas i'm hoping to be spending around £900 on a new PC(just the box,no need for new monitor,keyboard etc....).I have come across to ways of doing this,i can either buy a custom built pc or buy a pre built comadore gaming pc likethis:

click here

if i was to buy a custom built one i was think this:

Intel® Core™2 Quad Q6600 (4 X 2.40GHz) 1066MHz FSB/8MB L2 Cache
2GB CORSAIR XMS2 800MHz - LIFETIME WARRANTY! (2x1GB)
ASUS® P5N-E SLI: Quad-core CPU Ready, NVIDIA® Dual X8 SLI
500GB SERIAL ATA II HARD DRIVE WITH 16MB CACHE (7200rpm)
Graphics card 640MB GEFORCE 8800GTS PCI Express + DVI + TV-OUT

The last time i upgraded my pc was 2 years ago when i added a new mboard and cpu but the cpus have changed alot since then,i dont know what im looking for but im quessing a quad is better then a dual processor.

any advice would be great,basically i want a good gaming pc.

Cheers.

Totally-braindead 13:08 08 Dec 07

I would recommend Novatech look at the Executer range click here

prodway 14:43 08 Dec 07

Thats close to the customised pc i found,about the same price aswell.Good link.

Gamer555 15:04 08 Dec 07

Try Cougar Extreme. click here

They are a very good company and always helpful.

Thats a very good custom set up but why not save yourself a few quid and buy the Nvidia 8800gt 512mb. It's cheaper AND better than the 8800gts.

Unless your intending on buying the 8800gts Rev 2 which is out early next year and should beat the 8800gt!

Not sure if this is allowed but im sure the moderaters will delete it if not...

Try asking on another forum about your custom building. How about typing in 'Forum for Custom PCs' on google and see what you get. ;)

keef66 12:53 10 Dec 07

If it's primarily for gaming I'd get a faster dual core cpu; there won't be games to effectively utilise quad core processors for quite a while. E6850 would be my suggestion.

And I'd second the recommendation for an 8800GT (if you can find one in stock anywhere)

prodway 16:55 23 Dec 07

"If it's primarily for gaming I'd get a faster dual core cpu; there won't be games to effectively utilise quad core processors for quite a while. E6850 would be my suggestion.

And I'd second the recommendation for an 8800GT (if you can find one in stock anywhere)"

Thanks all,my main aim to to get a pc which can run high spec games such as bioshock,cod 4 and flight sim x and last a good few years before having to upgrade again.would you still recommend a dual core?Can someone explain the difference?

Thanks.

citadel 20:13 23 Dec 07

there are games that utilise quad, supreme commander, upcoming assassins creed and others. quad cores spread the work amongst the cores.

Gamer555 21:13 23 Dec 07

If your after a future proof PC (even though there really isn't such thing as a 'future proof' PC!) go for a quad core processor. Having 4 cores helps spread the work as citadel says. One core can work with the AI, one for the graphics etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now